Jul 5, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Philadelphia will receive the draft rights to international prospect Furkan Aldemir and cash in addition to White, while the Rockets will clear White’s $1.7 million from the books in exchange for “future draft considerations.”
White didn’t play at all last season for the Rockets, and was very open publicly about an anxiety disorder which prevents him from flying at times, among other things.
Houston suspended White at one point last season for failing to report, but eventually convinced him to play in the D-League where he ended up averaging 11.4 points and 5.7 rebounds in 16 games with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
If you’re wondering why the Sixers would bother taking a risk on White, the reason is that there’s a Houston connection in the Philadelphia front office.
The new GM of the Sixers, Sam Hinkie, came from the Rockets, where he was the executive VP of basketball operations prior to getting the gig in Philly. He likely was involved in the choice to draft White, and believes there’s still hope for him with a new team to contribute at the NBA level.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)