Jul 5, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
And then there were three…
Dallas’ pitch was to win for a year or two next two Dirk Nowitzki then they had the space to rebuild the team around Howard. Apparently that didn’t fly.
That leaves three teams in the race.
Houston is known to be the frontrunner, pitching that Howard and James Harden from the inside/outside combination of a contender that can be surrounded by quality role players who get the job done. They have good role players around such as Chandler Parsons and cap flexibility to add more parts.
The Lakers, where Howard played last season, can offer the most money with larger raises and an extra guaranteed year. Plus, they offer the winning tradition of the Lakers and their desire to make Howard a centerpiece of that going forward. Finally, they offer the off-the-court endorsement and media opportunities the other cities cannot. The question is if Howard believes he can win there. The Lakers do not seem sold he is staying.
Then there is Golden State, which becomes a more complicated deal after their recent move to offer Andre Iguodala four years, $48 million, and trade out Richard Jefferson and Andris Biedrins (plus cut loose Jarrett Jack and others). The Warriors may still be able to do a sign-and-trade with the Lakers around Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes and some other pieces. That would be a hard sell to the Lakers. To make that work Howard would have to keep Houston in the mix as leverage (“I’m going to Houston and you get nothing unless you do a sign-and-trade with Golden State”).
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 36
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4