Jul 5, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Marcus Camby has two years left on his current contract, and that’s likely about how much longer his NBA career is going to last (he’s 39 now).
He wants to spend those years playing for a contender in games that matter, chasing a ring. He doesn’t want to be the veteran teacher on a rebuilding team.
Like Toronto. Which is where he got traded as part of the Andrea Bargnani deal, and he wasn’t happy when it happened. That trade can’t be consummated until July 10 but Camby has already told the Raptors he wants out, reports Marc Berman at the New York Post.
Marcus Camby isn’t officially a Raptor yet, but has already asked for either a buyout or trade so he can join a contending club and could soon be on the free-agent market, The Post has learned….
“We have a great deal of respect for and faith in the new management of the Raptors,’’ Camby’s agent Rick Kaplan said. “So something is likely to work out for all involved.’’
There is not a ton new here, the Raptors are reportedly already shopping him. No, Camby cannot return to the Knicks, the CBA prevents it.
But there is no shortage of contenders who could use a veteran rim protector with a solid midrange shot. The question for the Raptors is what they get out of the deal — they are not just going to pay Camby to go to another team.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8