Jul 5, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
Smith, arguably the second best free agent still on the market this summer, spoke with Detroit, who was rumored to want to make a big offer to him. There were talks with Houston, which is contemplating pairing him with Howard if they land him. Boston has been mentioned, even though that doesn’t make a ton of sense for them. Atlanta is expected to make an offer to keep him. There were others.
While the spotlight followed Dwight Howard to the Rocky Mountains as he was thinking about his options, Smith planned to spend the Fourth of July and the weekend at home thinking about his next play.
Smith has said he wants a max contract but apparently so far that has not been forthcoming. He averaged 17.5 points and 8.4 rebounds a game plus is a good defensive forward. There’s a lot to like. The biggest drawback is he doesn’t play to his strengths — he’s a beast inside five feet but has a penchant for jump shots he does not make that often.
Smith’s best play may be to wait until Howard makes his move (that could be Friday) then see how the market shifts for him. If Howard chooses Houston that may become an option. Otherwise, teams that miss out on Howard might make a run. Bottom line is as teams become a little more desperate his options may increase.
But it still may not get him the max deal he wants. Teams are more cautious with the new CBA. But either way Smith is home thinking it over.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8