Jul 5, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Dwight Howard may announce a decision Friday. But Howard is not good with big decisions so it may be over the weekend. Or early next week. Or July 10.
What is Howard thinking as he sits in Aspen with his advisors? Depends on who you ask.
These two tweets from connected NBA people pretty much sum up the Dwight Howard
Holed away in Colorado, the Lakers are still prominent in Dwight Howard's mind, sources tell Y! Rockets remain strong, Warriors lurking.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 05, 2013
Sources close to Howard tell me Kobe's reported pitch in Tuesday's meeting about teaching D12 how to win will be a "complete turnoff" to D12—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 04, 2013
So the Lakers are prominent or Kobe Bryant pissed Howard off. Or both. But a report from ESPN that as time moves on the Lakers are growing pessimistic about their chances and think they could be fourth in the running. So they are finally admitting they might consider sign-and-trades.
The Rockets all along have been the one team consistently mentioned, although if they want to sign Howard to a max deal they still have some salary cap work to do.
The Warriors remain in the picture and they are trying to shed salary so they can just sign Howard outright… except they are not doing that just for Howard, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
One person briefed on Golden State’s cap-clearing efforts told CBSSports.com that the team is intent on clearing room regardless of Howard’s decision. If Howard says no to Golden State, the Warriors are expected to use the room — if successful in moving contracts — to chase another max-level free agent such as Denver forward Andre Iguodala, the person said.
You count out Mark Cuban and the Mavs at your own risk, even though they may have faded in the discussion.
All of which is to say… it’s Dwight Howard. The guy who wants to make everyone happy and hates to disappoint people could go a lot of different directions when it’s time to make an announcement. Let’s politely call the situation fluid.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 48
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 69
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 34
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8