Jul 5, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Dwight Howard may announce a decision Friday. But Howard is not good with big decisions so it may be over the weekend. Or early next week. Or July 10.
What is Howard thinking as he sits in Aspen with his advisors? Depends on who you ask.
These two tweets from connected NBA people pretty much sum up the Dwight Howard
Holed away in Colorado, the Lakers are still prominent in Dwight Howard's mind, sources tell Y! Rockets remain strong, Warriors lurking.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 05, 2013
Sources close to Howard tell me Kobe's reported pitch in Tuesday's meeting about teaching D12 how to win will be a "complete turnoff" to D12—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 04, 2013
So the Lakers are prominent or Kobe Bryant pissed Howard off. Or both. But a report from ESPN that as time moves on the Lakers are growing pessimistic about their chances and think they could be fourth in the running. So they are finally admitting they might consider sign-and-trades.
The Rockets all along have been the one team consistently mentioned, although if they want to sign Howard to a max deal they still have some salary cap work to do.
The Warriors remain in the picture and they are trying to shed salary so they can just sign Howard outright… except they are not doing that just for Howard, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
One person briefed on Golden State’s cap-clearing efforts told CBSSports.com that the team is intent on clearing room regardless of Howard’s decision. If Howard says no to Golden State, the Warriors are expected to use the room — if successful in moving contracts — to chase another max-level free agent such as Denver forward Andre Iguodala, the person said.
You count out Mark Cuban and the Mavs at your own risk, even though they may have faded in the discussion.
All of which is to say… it’s Dwight Howard. The guy who wants to make everyone happy and hates to disappoint people could go a lot of different directions when it’s time to make an announcement. Let’s politely call the situation fluid.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54