Jul 5, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Dwight Howard may announce a decision Friday. But Howard is not good with big decisions so it may be over the weekend. Or early next week. Or July 10.
What is Howard thinking as he sits in Aspen with his advisors? Depends on who you ask.
These two tweets from connected NBA people pretty much sum up the Dwight Howard
So the Lakers are prominent or Kobe Bryant pissed Howard off. Or both. But a report from ESPN that as time moves on the Lakers are growing pessimistic about their chances and think they could be fourth in the running. So they are finally admitting they might consider sign-and-trades.
The Rockets all along have been the one team consistently mentioned, although if they want to sign Howard to a max deal they still have some salary cap work to do.
The Warriors remain in the picture and they are trying to shed salary so they can just sign Howard outright… except they are not doing that just for Howard, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
One person briefed on Golden State’s cap-clearing efforts told CBSSports.com that the team is intent on clearing room regardless of Howard’s decision. If Howard says no to Golden State, the Warriors are expected to use the room — if successful in moving contracts — to chase another max-level free agent such as Denver forward Andre Iguodala, the person said.
You count out Mark Cuban and the Mavs at your own risk, even though they may have faded in the discussion.
All of which is to say… it’s Dwight Howard. The guy who wants to make everyone happy and hates to disappoint people could go a lot of different directions when it’s time to make an announcement. Let’s politely call the situation fluid.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48