Jul 5, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Notice a pattern?
Those are, in chronological order, the minutes per game for Tyrus Thomas during his four seasons with the Bobcats. Still just 26 years old, Thomas has faded into near-obscurity. He averaged career lows in points (4.8) and rebounds (2.3) per game this season, but the lowest point came when Charlotte just told him not to accompany the team on a March road trip.
Thomas’ malaise was a combination of clashes with coaches, injuries an overbearing inability to live up to a contract that will still pay him $8,694,215 and $9,388,430 the next two seasons.
Bobcats will amnesty F Tyrus Thomas to create the room to sign Jefferson.—
David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) July 04, 2013
Although the Bobcats will still have to pay Thomas, his longer legacy might be the first-round draft pick they still owe the Bulls from the trade that brought him to Charlotte. It’s top-10 protected next year, top-eight protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016. The way the Bobcats are going, they very well could end up losing a very valuable pick just so they had the inside track to overpay Thomas.
One team’s mistake could turn into another’s treasure, though. Someone should bid on Thomas, who as I mentioned, is still just 26. His athleticism and shot-blocking skills give him defensive potential, but whether he figures everything out remains a huge question.
I say he’s worth the risk – just not at anywhere near the salary the Bobcats gave him, which is why he’s available.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)