Jul 4, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Happy Fourth of July, Knicks fans.
We told you yesterday the two sides were getting close, now multiple reports and word from his agent confirm that the Knicks and J.R. Smith have agreed to terms on a new deal that will keep the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year racking up points for the Knicks next season and beyond.
Smith should be happy because his salary just more than doubled.
Breaking: The Knicks and J.R. Smith agree to a new deal, Smith's agent, Leon Rose, tells the Daily News.—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 04, 2013
Source saying J.R deal is completed with Smith accepting terms on 4-year, 24.7 M deal.—
Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) July 04, 2013
That salary is the max the Knicks could offer having Smith’s Early Bird rights (it starts at 104 percent of the league average salary, or about $5.4 million next season, then goes up with raises from there). Four years for a player who turns 28 before next season should not be a big issue.
This is a signing the Knicks needed, Smith is a key part of their success and they would have had a hard time replacing his production. Smith, 27, was the second leading scorer on the Knicks averaging 18.2 points a game and shot 42.2 percent overall, 35.6 percent from three. Smith can be frustrating because he takes a lot of bad, contested jump shots, the thing is he makes more of those than he should. On the nights those shots are falling he lights up Madison Square Garden.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16