Jul 4, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Happy Fourth of July, Knicks fans.
We told you yesterday the two sides were getting close, now multiple reports and word from his agent confirm that the Knicks and J.R. Smith have agreed to terms on a new deal that will keep the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year racking up points for the Knicks next season and beyond.
Smith should be happy because his salary just more than doubled.
Breaking: The Knicks and J.R. Smith agree to a new deal, Smith's agent, Leon Rose, tells the Daily News.—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) July 04, 2013
Source saying J.R deal is completed with Smith accepting terms on 4-year, 24.7 M deal.—
Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) July 04, 2013
That salary is the max the Knicks could offer having Smith’s Early Bird rights (it starts at 104 percent of the league average salary, or about $5.4 million next season, then goes up with raises from there). Four years for a player who turns 28 before next season should not be a big issue.
This is a signing the Knicks needed, Smith is a key part of their success and they would have had a hard time replacing his production. Smith, 27, was the second leading scorer on the Knicks averaging 18.2 points a game and shot 42.2 percent overall, 35.6 percent from three. Smith can be frustrating because he takes a lot of bad, contested jump shots, the thing is he makes more of those than he should. On the nights those shots are falling he lights up Madison Square Garden.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 0
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 22
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 51
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (51)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)