Phil Jackson refutes report that he declined to speak to Dwight Howard about staying with the Lakers
Jul 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
One of the many reports to emerge following the Lakers’ free agent meeting with Dwight Howard surrounded the involvement of Phil Jackson.
Jackson is not employed by the team in any official capacity, but looms large in the shadows of the organization as its former head coach. He’s also the current fiancee of Jeannie Buss, and speaks regularly with GM Mitch Kupchak on matters related to basketball.
There was a question as to whether or not Jackson would be personally involved in the recruiting of Howard, but it appeared that wouldn’t be the case. Jackson was said to be heading to his second home in Montana at the time the meeting with the Lakers would take place, and said as much when he reached out to Howard via Twitter with a brief message encouraging him to stay in Los Angeles.
A report surfaced, however, that the Lakers did indeed ask Jackson to speak with Howard, only to see him decline due to believing that the system being run by the team’s current head coach was not a good match for Howard’s skill set.
Jackson refuted the report personally on Thursday.
Error in reporting about my involvement with @DwightHoward meeting. I was amenable to talking with DH, but the meet never came to play.
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) July 4, 2013
This difference could be one of semantics, in that Jackson may have declined a request due to a scheduling conflict or something similar. But either way, with an unofficial role in the organization, Jackson’s presence may have only confused things in Howard’s eyes, and despite his Hall of Fame resume, it’s probably better that Jackson made his only pitch from afar.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11