Phil Jackson refutes report that he declined to speak to Dwight Howard about staying with the Lakers
Jul 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
One of the many reports to emerge following the Lakers’ free agent meeting with Dwight Howard surrounded the involvement of Phil Jackson.
Jackson is not employed by the team in any official capacity, but looms large in the shadows of the organization as its former head coach. He’s also the current fiancee of Jeannie Buss, and speaks regularly with GM Mitch Kupchak on matters related to basketball.
There was a question as to whether or not Jackson would be personally involved in the recruiting of Howard, but it appeared that wouldn’t be the case. Jackson was said to be heading to his second home in Montana at the time the meeting with the Lakers would take place, and said as much when he reached out to Howard via Twitter with a brief message encouraging him to stay in Los Angeles.
A report surfaced, however, that the Lakers did indeed ask Jackson to speak with Howard, only to see him decline due to believing that the system being run by the team’s current head coach was not a good match for Howard’s skill set.
Jackson refuted the report personally on Thursday.
Error in reporting about my involvement with @DwightHoward meeting. I was amenable to talking with DH, but the meet never came to play.
— Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11) July 4, 2013
This difference could be one of semantics, in that Jackson may have declined a request due to a scheduling conflict or something similar. But either way, with an unofficial role in the organization, Jackson’s presence may have only confused things in Howard’s eyes, and despite his Hall of Fame resume, it’s probably better that Jackson made his only pitch from afar.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11