Kings, Pelicans, Blazers agree to three-way deal involving Tyreke Evans, Robin Lopez, Greivis Vasquez

Jul 4, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT

Greivis Vasquez, Jae Crowder, Vince Carter AP

UPDATE 5:31 p.m.: The deal has been agreed upon, and now involves a third team in the Portland Trail Blazers. Tyreke Evans goes to the Pelicans, Greivis Vasquez heads to Sacramento, and Robin Lopez ends up in Portland.

Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports that Terrel Harris will also head to the Blazers, who will send two second round draft picks to the Kings.

11:59 a.m.: Tyreke Evans wants to go to New Orleans. He has told the Kings he plans to sign a four-year, $44 million offer sheet with the Pelicans come July 10.

Technically, Sacramento can match that and keep him (Evans is a restricted free agent), but they are not going to because they will let just drafted Ben McLemore be the two guard of the future.

However, what the Kings are working on is a sign-and-trade to get some talent back from New Orleans out of the deal, according to a report in the Sacramento Bee.

According to sources close to the situation, the new Kings management group instead is hoping to close Thursday on a sign-and-trade agreement involving Pelicans point guard Greivis Vasquez and backup center Robin Lopez.

The Pelicans traded for Jrue Holiday on draft night, which means they were expected to move Vasquez at some point. That would be a great fit for the Kings, Vasquez grew into a quality starting point guard last year who assisted on 44.9 percent of his team’s buckets when he was on the floor. Vasquez with Isaiah Thomas would make a good tandem at the one. Lopez is needed to match the salaries up. His size and skill set next to Anthony Davis would be missed but is not irreplaceable for New Orleans, he would likely backup DeMarcus Cousins in Sacramento.

We’ll see if this gets done. It makes some sense but the Kings don’t have a ton of leverage here because they don’t plan to match the offer, according to the same report.

Because Evans, the 2009-10 Rookie of the Year, is a restricted free agent, the Kings have the right to match any offer he receives in the open market. However, team officials reportedly believe the offer is excessive and would damage the team’s long-term salary cap flexibility.

1. htownred34 - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Smart move by the kings, they might as well get some guys back instead of not matching at all and letting him go for free. Vasquez is a solid point guard with great size at 6″6…

2. money2long - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

would that give the kings the tallest and shortest point guards in the nba on one team ?

3. yousername1512 - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Comma splice galore in this article, as per the norm.

• jackntorres - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I counted two.

Anyways trading Vasquez and Lopez is much more exciting than trading Gordon. Holiday-Gordon-Evans deserves at least a trial.. And as mentioned, without the threat of matching the deal the Kings don’t have leverage to force a trade.

4. anhdazman - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

This is actually a very good move for the Kings. Tyreke does not deserve a contract like that, so good for him if he could convince a team like the Pelicans to shell over that kind of money. As for Tyreke’s time in Sacramento, it was over. Change of scenery was needed. Maybe he can turn his career around, because it had stalled and was at a dead end in Sactown.

Nice draft and this type of quality player moves will get the Kings in a better position in the West. I’m a GSW fan and I think this will keep them above the Sun and challenge the Lakers if DH12 leaves LA.

You guys should also stay away from Iggy. That was an insane contract offer for a player on a decline. Good thing you guys yanked back the contract before Iggy signed it.

• anhdazman - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

One more thing, with you guys picking up Vasquez, at least I know the Kings won’t be going after Jack, our key FA PG. Need him staying put in Oakland.

More concerned about the Jazz. Jack would be a very good mentor and backup PG in Utah.

5. yousername1512 - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yup, two, and that’s in a mere ten sentences of original copy. (To say nothing of other articles.) A 20% language failure is almost impressive. Puts the “mar” in grammar and the, um, sin in syntax.

Anyways, this trade is a step up for both teams, but they’d be wise to use the early part of next season to figure out which wing combinations will work long-term. Lots of small guards in Sacto.

• jackntorres - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Your last, um, sentence was a fragment. I come here for basketball news, not grammar (comma splice that). I suggest you do the same.

• yousername1512 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Responding to jackntorres, who seems to have mistaken my last comment as fighting words toward him:

1. For the record, I am not some internet troll who gets off on posting obnoxious comments. I don’t enjoy the fight like that. Nor am I some pompous writing snob. I care as much or more about actual basketball as I do about writing. You might have assumed otherwise.

2. I am sure Kurt is a very nice guy. I’ve got nothing against him and haven’t criticized him on a personal level, nor would I. But he comes to us, the readers, in his capacity as a writer. His writing is fair game.

3. Thanks for the suggestion that I simply come here for basketball news. I already do that, mainly because swiping through the PBT app is a very convenient way to catch up on what’s being said elsewhere. For what it’s worth, there are many better-written NBA sites, and also better aggregators of NBA news (e.g., HoopsHype), but PBT has the clear user interface advantage. So here I am.

4. Wanting to visit a site for a given reason, e.g., basketball news — and even appreciating what it offers on that front — doesn’t preclude being disappointed in its other failings. Nor does it preclude pointing out those failings, whether to vent, to spur agreement (or disagreement) from other readers, or (fingers crossed!) to grab the attention of those responsible for the content (Kurt and his bosses) so that, in the future, the site/app might improve. (And yes, both my prior sentence, this sentence, and my next sentence, all begin with a conjunction and are technically fragments, as you pointed out with respect to my last comment. More on that later.)

To suggest otherwise is like saying “love it or leave it,” which is just an asinine position to take. Websites (like products, and laws, and countries, and basically everything) improve only after people point out where there is room for improvement. If I had voted for a politician due to his/her position on a particular issue, would I renounce my right to later criticize or question him/her on another issue?

I’ve been reading PBT for years. Of course I should complain that the writing is getting embarrassing. It makes the site much less enjoyable. I imagine I’m not alone in that sentiment.

5. That this site can be broadly categorized as a “blog” does not render its writing immune to criticism as if it were some random dude’s popular livejournal. This is still actual writing, and happens to be published by NBC, one of the most prominent — and, though opinions may differ, respected — news/entertainment corporations in the country. This may not be the New York Times, but it isn’t too much to ask that the writing quality in the articles exceed that in the average comments section, whether through more carefulness in the writing or the hiring of an editor. (I haven’t even mentioned the frequent typos and occasional substantive errors.)

6. Since you pointed out my sentence fragments as if they were evidence of hypocrisy: Sentence fragments are “no-no” in the more elementary levels of writing because you need to learn the rules before you can meaningfully break them, and allowing a child to write in fragments stunts that learning. That being said, a great many adult writers (professional and unprofessional), having already learned and internalized writing 101, use fragments as an intentional stylistic choice to liven up their writing. It’s a broadly accepted writing device. Don’t take my word. Thumb through any publication that you respect and you’ll find fragments used for this purpose.

7. Comma splices, on the other hand, are not at all like like that. Nobody thinks they are open for debate. They serve no stylistic purpose. They cannot be used intentionally except through laziness (or to troll your own readers). I could explain why, but another person in these internets has done so better than I ever could:

(From: http://www.dorisandbertie.com/goodcopybadcopy/2009/06/12/why-i-hate-the-comma-splice/)

“What’s distressing about the prevalence of the comma splice is that it creates stream-of-consciousness babble in which unconnected thoughts run hyperactively into each other.

Furthermore, the comma splice betrays in its user a complete ignorance of how the English language works.

To avail yourself of the comma splice, you must have no grasp of what a sentence is. Which means you have no grasp of what a verb is. Or the subject of the sentence. Or the difference between dependent clauses and independent clauses. Or how to connect ideas with conjunctions. Or how to temper the flow of your copy with elegant introductory participial phrases.

(Yes, I’m aware that I’m punctuating clauses here as if they were full sentences. It’s done consciously to achieve a punchier style. Breaking the rules is fine if you understand them – and know why you’re breaking them.)

In short, use the comma splice and you’re telling me that you’re inarticulate, incapable of expressing ideas in a coherent way, and that you have no ear for the rhythms of the English language.”

8. Conjunctions. Semicolons. Periods. They are our friends. Can we not ask to read our delicious basketball news without the credibility-impairing eye sores?

• longtallsam - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

You’re complaining about grammar, which I agree is terrible, but beginning a sentence with “Anyways” isn’t proper grammar.

• yousername1512 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You’re right, and your point is taken. I intentionally used that word for the sake of being casual (which definitely isn’t nearly as egregious as connecting standalone sentences with a comma). It’s an impulse more appropriate to a comment than it would be to an actual article. But now that I think of it, I don’t really like the word “anyways,” anyways.

6. toddm1016 - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Why would the Pelicans do this?

• dafmediaproductions - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Evans in my opinion is a top 10 guard, if he has the ball in his hand. Sac took the ball out of his hand in my opinion because they wanted him out (because of injuries) and didn’t want the local fans mad for not resigning Evans former R.O.Y..

I believe that help Evans because he started playing effective without the ball towards the end of the season… He still needs to continue to improve his 3′s but he’s not as dominate with the ball.

I do think it’s risky for N.O. to sign him and trade for Holiday. Maybe Holiday and Evans feel they can share bringing the ball up the court… They did played in a lot of high school All Star games together… maybe they think they can be the next LBJ and Wade (two ball handlers that take turns with the rock)?… they’re not on Wade and James level but I can see there train of thought.

From reading most of the comments, many have concluded that Evans is overrated… I believe he’s underrated 18, 5, 5 and he’s under 25. If Davis or Anderson can play Center on defense… the Pelicans will have a fun starting 5 with great floor spacing which could equate into the most improve team next season.

• money2long - Jul 5, 2013 at 4:48 AM

top 10 is being generous. there are a lot of talented guards in the leauge. some of which haven’t even made the all star team yet. see, curry.

7. sire2334 - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Wow, I would do this all day if I were the Kings.

8. ProBasketballPundit - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Exactly, what leverage do the Kings have to propose a trade? Pelicans should call their bluff and just sign Tyreke. Not that I like Vasquez but he’s somewhat of an asset.

9. JMClarkent - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The Kings have made a Greivis error. …I realize that have brought great shame to my family with that pun.

10. 00maltliquor - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

So how exactly will Lopez back up Cousins when Lopez got traded to POR and Cousins is in SAC……….unless Cousins got traded to POR and you forgot to mention the biggest piece of that 3-team trade in your article.

• dakotaboy6266 - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

00maltliquor – please reread the article. The original post is time-stamped at 11:59 AM and indicates that Lopez would back up Cousins. The post was updated at 5:31 PM with the information that Lopez went to Portland and Sacramento received 2 second round draft picks from them.

Depending upon what year those draft picks are they could end up being huge. If one of them is next year, prognosticators are saying the 2014 draft will be outstanding. That being the case, the Kings would have an extra draft pick to trade to move up in the first round if they wanted to.

11. bellerophon30 - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Evans will be an interesting case, we’ll see if his problems (and Boogie’s perhaps) really just were the culture of the Kings, or if they were self inflicted. And Saco got a starting point guard out of it. Everyone wins.

This assumes that Tyreke can play the 3 for a lot of minutes, which assumes that Gordon will stay healthy. I’d give a penny for his thoughts right now.

12. doctorfootball - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Maybe I’m in the minority but, I think the Kings made out better than anyone in this deal. I think Vasquez is the best player involved

13. zacmonte - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I might be the only one that thinks this, but I feel that Evans would be best suited for a “super-sub” type of role. The guy can play the 1, the 2, and play as a smaller 3. If you give him enough minutes as a sub at each position in the lineup, you can keep him on the court enough that he gets starter minutes, like he should, yet still gets opportunities to play with the ball in his hands fairly often even with Holiday and Gordon. Evans is versatile, and I believe that his versatility should be exploited as it is one of his biggest strengths. He could honestly be a perennial 6th man of the year winner coming off the bench as a “super-sub”.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches