Kings, Pelicans, Blazers agree to three-way deal involving Tyreke Evans, Robin Lopez, Greivis Vasquez
Jul 4, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:31 p.m.: The deal has been agreed upon, and now involves a third team in the Portland Trail Blazers. Tyreke Evans goes to the Pelicans, Greivis Vasquez heads to Sacramento, and Robin Lopez ends up in Portland.
11:59 a.m.: Tyreke Evans wants to go to New Orleans. He has told the Kings he plans to sign a four-year, $44 million offer sheet with the Pelicans come July 10.
Technically, Sacramento can match that and keep him (Evans is a restricted free agent), but they are not going to because they will let just drafted Ben McLemore be the two guard of the future.
However, what the Kings are working on is a sign-and-trade to get some talent back from New Orleans out of the deal, according to a report in the Sacramento Bee.
According to sources close to the situation, the new Kings management group instead is hoping to close Thursday on a sign-and-trade agreement involving Pelicans point guard Greivis Vasquez and backup center Robin Lopez.
The Pelicans traded for Jrue Holiday on draft night, which means they were expected to move Vasquez at some point. That would be a great fit for the Kings, Vasquez grew into a quality starting point guard last year who assisted on 44.9 percent of his team’s buckets when he was on the floor. Vasquez with Isaiah Thomas would make a good tandem at the one. Lopez is needed to match the salaries up. His size and skill set next to Anthony Davis would be missed but is not irreplaceable for New Orleans, he would likely backup DeMarcus Cousins in Sacramento.
We’ll see if this gets done. It makes some sense but the Kings don’t have a ton of leverage here because they don’t plan to match the offer, according to the same report.
Because Evans, the 2009-10 Rookie of the Year, is a restricted free agent, the Kings have the right to match any offer he receives in the open market. However, team officials reportedly believe the offer is excessive and would damage the team’s long-term salary cap flexibility.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13