Jul 3, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
However, it was a pretty clear sign that the Kings are seriously considering matching the New Orleans offer expected for Tyreke Evans of four years, $44 million.
Evans doesn’t want them to match, he wants to go to New Orleans, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.com.
Sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Evans, frustrated by the state of negotiations with the Sacramento Kings as a restricted free agent, is determined to leave the organization and plans to sign an offer sheet with the New Orleans Pelicans on the first allowable day….
Yet, one source close to the situation said Wednesday that Evans feels disrespected that new Kings owner Vivek Ranadive had yet to make any formal offer for him.
“They are stalling and he feels he has no choice,” the source said. “If they had shown loyalty to him earlier, he probably would have stayed there. He wasn’t trying to leave, but now he feels as though he has to.”
That sounds like a negotiation tactic, to me.
It doesn’t really matter what Evans wants, the Kings can match the offer and he has to play there. The two sides could work out a sign-and-trade, but there has been no talk of that so far.
This puts the Pelicans in the exact opposite position they were with Eric Gordon. Two summers ago it was Gordon — New Orleans’ key acquisition in the Chris Paul trade — who signed an offer sheet with the Suns and said his heart was in Phoenix now. New Orleans matched the offer, but Gordon was injured, hasn’t played all that well, and the fans there have never really forgiven him for that incident.
The shoe is now on the other webbed Pelican foot, now.
But it’s up to the Kings. They have until the 10th to make an offer to Evans and they may well still do that, then all will be good (especially Evans’ bank account).
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47