Jul 3, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
Rule No. 1 of trying to trade a player is to deny you are trading him, otherwise you lose all your leverage.
But that doesn’t mean what he is saying is wrong, either.
Morey added that he is not looking to deal Omer Asik or Jeremy Lin….
“Both with Omer and Jeremy, we feel like they’re good fits for Dwight. Omer with Dwight would give us the best (centers) in the league in combination. Jeremy is an attacking guard, great in pick-and-roll, a great fit for Dwight. Dwight works great with shooting and attacking guards. Harden is great at both. That’s why he’s an All Star.”
It’s one of the challenges with Howard — he wants the ball in the post like a traditional center, and he shot a respectable 44 percent that way last season (and better as the season wore on and he got healthier). He should get his looks that way. But Howard’s greatest advantage as a big man is how well he moves, which makes him a wicked pick-and-roll big man (he shot better than 70 percent as the roll man last year). Whether it’s the Rockets or the Lakers or whomever, the team that lands Howard next year needs to convince him to play a lot of pick-and-roll.
As for Josh Smith and Howard as a pair, I’m not sold.
They should be a very good defensive team with Smith and Howard on the back line. But on offense both work best around the basket — with Howard taking up that space Smith will be more tempted to be pushed out and take the jumpers that he so often misses. The two of them near the basket clogs the driving lanes for James Harden and Lin; you could pack the paint on the Rockets and force them to be jump shooters. Finally, those are two weak free throw shooters that you would need on the court at the end of games.
I think the Rockets would be better off without Smith and Howard paired, you can find a better fit if you need to move Asik.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 3
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 10
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 2
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10