Jul 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
It shouldn’t be important, really, and maybe it still isn’t. But the reported choices of the destination where Howard will weigh his options each has its own interesting implications.
Ken Berger of CBS Sports has the details:
Before the “what” and “when” of Howard’s free-agent decision, the All-Star center and his team must decide the “where.” Two options under consideration for Howard’s camp to mull his options, according to league sources: a resort area in Colorado and a remote ranch in Montana.
If Howard chooses to retreat to Montana with his advisors for the July 4 weekend, league sources say he’ll be hunkered down not far from where former Lakers coach Phil Jackson finds his inner Zen. If it’s Colorado, Howard will have plenty of company. Half of LA’s rich and famous — and a good portion of its rich and not-so-famous — vacation in Aspen for the holiday weekend.
Meanwhile, Frank Isola of the New York Daily News says that Aspen is indeed the destination.
Those rooting for Howard to re-sign with the Lakers may be encouraged by these reports — Phil Jackson is currently in Montana, of course, and Howard is said to be excited by rubbing elbows with the rich and famous, many of whom (as Berger pointed out) are entertainment industry moguls who spend their holidays in Aspen.
But the location of Howard’s summit with his internal team likely has little or nothing to do with where he’ll ultimately sign. In fact, it’s tough to believe that at this late stage of things that Howard, despite his famously high level of indecision, doesn’t already have a pretty good idea of where he’ll end up next season.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10