Jul 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
It shouldn’t be important, really, and maybe it still isn’t. But the reported choices of the destination where Howard will weigh his options each has its own interesting implications.
Ken Berger of CBS Sports has the details:
Before the “what” and “when” of Howard’s free-agent decision, the All-Star center and his team must decide the “where.” Two options under consideration for Howard’s camp to mull his options, according to league sources: a resort area in Colorado and a remote ranch in Montana.
If Howard chooses to retreat to Montana with his advisors for the July 4 weekend, league sources say he’ll be hunkered down not far from where former Lakers coach Phil Jackson finds his inner Zen. If it’s Colorado, Howard will have plenty of company. Half of LA’s rich and famous — and a good portion of its rich and not-so-famous — vacation in Aspen for the holiday weekend.
Meanwhile, Frank Isola of the New York Daily News says that Aspen is indeed the destination.
Those rooting for Howard to re-sign with the Lakers may be encouraged by these reports — Phil Jackson is currently in Montana, of course, and Howard is said to be excited by rubbing elbows with the rich and famous, many of whom (as Berger pointed out) are entertainment industry moguls who spend their holidays in Aspen.
But the location of Howard’s summit with his internal team likely has little or nothing to do with where he’ll ultimately sign. In fact, it’s tough to believe that at this late stage of things that Howard, despite his famously high level of indecision, doesn’t already have a pretty good idea of where he’ll end up next season.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 6
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4