Jul 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
It shouldn’t be important, really, and maybe it still isn’t. But the reported choices of the destination where Howard will weigh his options each has its own interesting implications.
Ken Berger of CBS Sports has the details:
Before the “what” and “when” of Howard’s free-agent decision, the All-Star center and his team must decide the “where.” Two options under consideration for Howard’s camp to mull his options, according to league sources: a resort area in Colorado and a remote ranch in Montana.
If Howard chooses to retreat to Montana with his advisors for the July 4 weekend, league sources say he’ll be hunkered down not far from where former Lakers coach Phil Jackson finds his inner Zen. If it’s Colorado, Howard will have plenty of company. Half of LA’s rich and famous — and a good portion of its rich and not-so-famous — vacation in Aspen for the holiday weekend.
Meanwhile, Frank Isola of the New York Daily News says that Aspen is indeed the destination.
Those rooting for Howard to re-sign with the Lakers may be encouraged by these reports — Phil Jackson is currently in Montana, of course, and Howard is said to be excited by rubbing elbows with the rich and famous, many of whom (as Berger pointed out) are entertainment industry moguls who spend their holidays in Aspen.
But the location of Howard’s summit with his internal team likely has little or nothing to do with where he’ll ultimately sign. In fact, it’s tough to believe that at this late stage of things that Howard, despite his famously high level of indecision, doesn’t already have a pretty good idea of where he’ll end up next season.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31