Jul 3, 2013, 12:22 AM EST
The Pistons reportedly tried to trade for Rudy Gay before the Raptors got him from the Grizzlies. That move by Toronto was panned by most informed observers, because although Gay scores at a high clip (career 18 points per game), he’s very overpaid (owed $17,888,932 and $19,317,326* in the next two years) and very inefficient (career 48.4 effective field-goal percentage, though that’s a mark he hasn’t hit in the last three years).
Apparently, the Pistons weren’t paying close attention to the mocking directed at the Raptors, who are now under the direction of Masai Ujiri, aka not the guy who traded for Gay in the first place.
Somehow, the Pistons made a lowball offer and are still giving up too much.
The Pistons could have bought out Stuckey for just $4 million before July 1 and used the amnesty clause on Villanueva, a combinations of moves that would have cleared $7,599,644 in extra cap room. For that amount, a well-run team could have found a player of comparable value to Gay. It would have been more costly to Pistons owner Tom Gores in the short term, but he’s the one who declared, “tell the world, we’re ready to spend.”
Perhaps, there would be an as-of-yet unreported draft pick or two headed back the Pistons’ way – those are often left out of the initial leaks – and if that’s the case, this deal could turn beneficial for both sides. The Raptors probably want to dump Gay, and the Pistons don’t have many perimeter options in free agency.
But as reported, the Raptors would be getting a clear win.
*This is technically a player option, but it would be the most shocking upset in NBA history if Gay declines that much money.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)