Jul 3, 2013, 12:22 AM EST
The Pistons reportedly tried to trade for Rudy Gay before the Raptors got him from the Grizzlies. That move by Toronto was panned by most informed observers, because although Gay scores at a high clip (career 18 points per game), he’s very overpaid (owed $17,888,932 and $19,317,326* in the next two years) and very inefficient (career 48.4 effective field-goal percentage, though that’s a mark he hasn’t hit in the last three years).
Apparently, the Pistons weren’t paying close attention to the mocking directed at the Raptors, who are now under the direction of Masai Ujiri, aka not the guy who traded for Gay in the first place.
Somehow, the Pistons made a lowball offer and are still giving up too much.
The Pistons could have bought out Stuckey for just $4 million before July 1 and used the amnesty clause on Villanueva, a combinations of moves that would have cleared $7,599,644 in extra cap room. For that amount, a well-run team could have found a player of comparable value to Gay. It would have been more costly to Pistons owner Tom Gores in the short term, but he’s the one who declared, “tell the world, we’re ready to spend.”
Perhaps, there would be an as-of-yet unreported draft pick or two headed back the Pistons’ way – those are often left out of the initial leaks – and if that’s the case, this deal could turn beneficial for both sides. The Raptors probably want to dump Gay, and the Pistons don’t have many perimeter options in free agency.
But as reported, the Raptors would be getting a clear win.
*This is technically a player option, but it would be the most shocking upset in NBA history if Gay declines that much money.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30