Jul 3, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Earl Clark got his chance to shine with the rash of Lakers injuries last season and on a team that desperately needed more athleticism he stood out at first. But as time wore on Mike D’Antoni went away from him more and more as the flaws in his game were exposed.
Still, there is a lot of potential there for a team that is building still. A team like maybe the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Free agent forward Earl Clark met with the Cavaliers in Cleveland on Tuesday, and though no contract offers were made, the two sides are expected to meet again Wednesday, a source told Sporting News. The source labeled the interest between Clark and the Cavaliers “very mutual.”
Do the Cavs need another 6’10” power forward? Clark is a four who plays more like a three. With Tristan Thompson and just drafted Anthony Bennett on the roster, his minutes were limited.
Clark started 36 games for the injury riddled Lakers. He got looks but couldn’t consistently knock them down (44 percent shooting overall, 33.7 percent from three), he turned the ball over more than you would like, and he would disappear for long stretches if his shots didn’t fall. He’s athletic, he showed improvement, but he has a ways to go.
Coming off the bench for the Cavaliers and getting steady minutes in the rotation to develop his game might work. The question is are there minutes to give him.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2