Jul 3, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Earl Clark got his chance to shine with the rash of Lakers injuries last season and on a team that desperately needed more athleticism he stood out at first. But as time wore on Mike D’Antoni went away from him more and more as the flaws in his game were exposed.
Still, there is a lot of potential there for a team that is building still. A team like maybe the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Free agent forward Earl Clark met with the Cavaliers in Cleveland on Tuesday, and though no contract offers were made, the two sides are expected to meet again Wednesday, a source told Sporting News. The source labeled the interest between Clark and the Cavaliers “very mutual.”
Do the Cavs need another 6’10” power forward? Clark is a four who plays more like a three. With Tristan Thompson and just drafted Anthony Bennett on the roster, his minutes were limited.
Clark started 36 games for the injury riddled Lakers. He got looks but couldn’t consistently knock them down (44 percent shooting overall, 33.7 percent from three), he turned the ball over more than you would like, and he would disappear for long stretches if his shots didn’t fall. He’s athletic, he showed improvement, but he has a ways to go.
Coming off the bench for the Cavaliers and getting steady minutes in the rotation to develop his game might work. The question is are there minutes to give him.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39