Jul 3, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
New Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri just turned Andrea Bargnani, an underwhelming player on a terrible contract, into a first-round pick. Sure, the Raptors had to take back Marcus Camby’s bad contract and Steve Novak’s lengthy deal, but they also got a couple second-round picks for the trouble.
Ujiri should be feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good about himself for that trade.
He might even think he can get more for Rudy Gay, another overpaid Toronto forward. Gay is paid considerably more than Bargnani (wow), but he’s also considerably better. In terms of value, Gay’s is probably slightly higher than Bargnani’s, but not by a drastic amount.
So, Ujiri isn’t just dumping Gay. Marc Stein of ESPN:
As I wrote yesterday, I think this is a good trade for the Raptors. But it might not be the best trade for the Raptors if they want to trade Gay.
I doubt the Pistons will pull their offer anytime soon. Perhaps, they sign a free agent – Josh Smith or Andre Iguodala would be ideal from their point of view – to play small forward, but Charlie Villanueva and Rodney Stuckey still have little value and Joe Dumars has shown he doesn’t mind overstocking a single position with talent. I think this offer will be available to Toronto for a little while.
In the meantime, Ujiri can look for a general manager foolish enough to give up a pick for the right to take on Gay’s massive contract. Maybe Bryant Colangelo will get hired somewhere.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 14
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 15
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80