Jul 3, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
New Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri just turned Andrea Bargnani, an underwhelming player on a terrible contract, into a first-round pick. Sure, the Raptors had to take back Marcus Camby’s bad contract and Steve Novak’s lengthy deal, but they also got a couple second-round picks for the trouble.
Ujiri should be feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good about himself for that trade.
He might even think he can get more for Rudy Gay, another overpaid Toronto forward. Gay is paid considerably more than Bargnani (wow), but he’s also considerably better. In terms of value, Gay’s is probably slightly higher than Bargnani’s, but not by a drastic amount.
So, Ujiri isn’t just dumping Gay. Marc Stein of ESPN:
As I wrote yesterday, I think this is a good trade for the Raptors. But it might not be the best trade for the Raptors if they want to trade Gay.
I doubt the Pistons will pull their offer anytime soon. Perhaps, they sign a free agent – Josh Smith or Andre Iguodala would be ideal from their point of view – to play small forward, but Charlie Villanueva and Rodney Stuckey still have little value and Joe Dumars has shown he doesn’t mind overstocking a single position with talent. I think this offer will be available to Toronto for a little while.
In the meantime, Ujiri can look for a general manager foolish enough to give up a pick for the right to take on Gay’s massive contract. Maybe Bryant Colangelo will get hired somewhere.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 18
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 25
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31