Jul 3, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
And at least in the case of the Rockets, Howard wanted front office input in addition to whatever else the franchise was trying to promise.
There were discussions about the Rockets’ ability to continue to build their roster, and Howard spoke about being including in decision-making — something Morey has routinely sought with stars — but no specific names were mentioned. Morey added that he is not looking to deal Omer Asik or Jeremy Lin.
“He absolutely did not insist on anything like that,” Morey said. “He’s focused on winning. He wants to be involved in process like all stars have, including James (Harden). To say he said any names is absolutely not true. He wants the best team possible and is interested in how we plan to do that.”
We’ve already heard this with Howard to some degree, when it was reported that he asked about how the team could add another max contract player should he end up choosing Houston as his free agent destination.
The problem with all of this, of course, is the restrictive nature of the league’s new collective bargaining agreement, which makes the tax penalties outrageous for teams that decide to acquire players that would send them far over the salary cap. Houston is not the Lakers or the Knicks, and won’t sign up for that type of financial commitment for Howard, or for anyone else.
As for wanting roster input, as Morey said, this is not uncommon for the main star on an NBA team. To what level the Rockets intend to listen will be the interesting part, and something tells me that once the ink is dry on a multi-year contract, some of these promises may be dialed back a bit in terms of how they’ll actually play out over the next several seasons.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30