Jul 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Dwight Howard has some thinking to do.
Five teams came and pitched him on why he should spend the next five years in their city playing basketball for them — the Houston Rockets, the Atlanta Hawks, the Golden State Warriors, the Dallas Mavericks, and Los Angeles Lakers. Each came with iPads to show their presentations, each came with big names in tow, each made big efforts trying to sell Howard on their city and their team.
Howard wanted to be recruited like he never was for college, now he’s got a lot to think about — and he doesn’t want to do that thinking in Los Angeles, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
When is that decision coming? Maybe Friday.
This is the indecisive Howard we are talking about, so don’t bet the rent money on that date, but it is expected soon.
Howard can’t put his signature on a contract until July 10 and he could technically take until then to make a decision. However, both the team that gets him and the ones that don’t have other roster spots to fill out and they want a call sooner rather than later.
The Rockets remain considered the frontrunner, but the Lakers are certainly in the mix. Dallas is not out of it, but the Hawks and Warriors basically are. Those last two were pretty much DOA but made their pitches anyway.
Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted that Howard was really indecisive when all the presentations were over. Shocking, I know. But sometimes the best way to make a decision is to step back from it, get away then take a fresh look. That’s what Howard seems to be doing.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28