Jul 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Dwight Howard has some thinking to do.
Five teams came and pitched him on why he should spend the next five years in their city playing basketball for them — the Houston Rockets, the Atlanta Hawks, the Golden State Warriors, the Dallas Mavericks, and Los Angeles Lakers. Each came with iPads to show their presentations, each came with big names in tow, each made big efforts trying to sell Howard on their city and their team.
Howard wanted to be recruited like he never was for college, now he’s got a lot to think about — and he doesn’t want to do that thinking in Los Angeles, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Dwight Howard is leaving California for a few days to mull his free agency choice, league sources tell Y! Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 02, 2013
When is that decision coming? Maybe Friday.
From what I'm told by someone privy to Dwight Howard's plans, a Friday decision will be announced without a question from Jim Gray—
Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) July 03, 2013
This is the indecisive Howard we are talking about, so don’t bet the rent money on that date, but it is expected soon.
Howard can’t put his signature on a contract until July 10 and he could technically take until then to make a decision. However, both the team that gets him and the ones that don’t have other roster spots to fill out and they want a call sooner rather than later.
The Rockets remain considered the frontrunner, but the Lakers are certainly in the mix. Dallas is not out of it, but the Hawks and Warriors basically are. Those last two were pretty much DOA but made their pitches anyway.
Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted that Howard was really indecisive when all the presentations were over. Shocking, I know. But sometimes the best way to make a decision is to step back from it, get away then take a fresh look. That’s what Howard seems to be doing.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 0
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 2
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)