Jul 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Dwight Howard has some thinking to do.
Five teams came and pitched him on why he should spend the next five years in their city playing basketball for them — the Houston Rockets, the Atlanta Hawks, the Golden State Warriors, the Dallas Mavericks, and Los Angeles Lakers. Each came with iPads to show their presentations, each came with big names in tow, each made big efforts trying to sell Howard on their city and their team.
Howard wanted to be recruited like he never was for college, now he’s got a lot to think about — and he doesn’t want to do that thinking in Los Angeles, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Dwight Howard is leaving California for a few days to mull his free agency choice, league sources tell Y! Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 02, 2013
When is that decision coming? Maybe Friday.
From what I'm told by someone privy to Dwight Howard's plans, a Friday decision will be announced without a question from Jim Gray—
Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) July 03, 2013
This is the indecisive Howard we are talking about, so don’t bet the rent money on that date, but it is expected soon.
Howard can’t put his signature on a contract until July 10 and he could technically take until then to make a decision. However, both the team that gets him and the ones that don’t have other roster spots to fill out and they want a call sooner rather than later.
The Rockets remain considered the frontrunner, but the Lakers are certainly in the mix. Dallas is not out of it, but the Hawks and Warriors basically are. Those last two were pretty much DOA but made their pitches anyway.
Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted that Howard was really indecisive when all the presentations were over. Shocking, I know. But sometimes the best way to make a decision is to step back from it, get away then take a fresh look. That’s what Howard seems to be doing.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 10
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 41
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 22