Jul 3, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Dwight Howard has some thinking to do.
Five teams came and pitched him on why he should spend the next five years in their city playing basketball for them — the Houston Rockets, the Atlanta Hawks, the Golden State Warriors, the Dallas Mavericks, and Los Angeles Lakers. Each came with iPads to show their presentations, each came with big names in tow, each made big efforts trying to sell Howard on their city and their team.
Howard wanted to be recruited like he never was for college, now he’s got a lot to think about — and he doesn’t want to do that thinking in Los Angeles, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
When is that decision coming? Maybe Friday.
This is the indecisive Howard we are talking about, so don’t bet the rent money on that date, but it is expected soon.
Howard can’t put his signature on a contract until July 10 and he could technically take until then to make a decision. However, both the team that gets him and the ones that don’t have other roster spots to fill out and they want a call sooner rather than later.
The Rockets remain considered the frontrunner, but the Lakers are certainly in the mix. Dallas is not out of it, but the Hawks and Warriors basically are. Those last two were pretty much DOA but made their pitches anyway.
Chris Broussard of ESPN tweeted that Howard was really indecisive when all the presentations were over. Shocking, I know. But sometimes the best way to make a decision is to step back from it, get away then take a fresh look. That’s what Howard seems to be doing.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31