Derrick Rose: ‘I had to be selfish’ with injury

Jul 3, 2013, 6:02 PM EST

Miami Heat v Chicago Bulls - Game Three Getty Images

Scottie Pippen had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

John Paxson had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

John Calipari had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

Bradley Beal had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

Joakim Noah had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

I had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

You had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

Everyone had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.

In the end, only one opinion mattered. Rose, in an interview with BullsTV:

I’m not a selfish guy at all, but having this injury and knowing what I had to go through and being smart, this is something I had to be selfish with. I couldn’t worry about anyone else but myself and my health.

Good for Rose.

The Bulls – or any other participant in this drama – have all kinds of motives to do what’s not best for Rose. Maybe they wouldn’t act on those incentives, but Rose showed a deserved degree of skepticism. Just look how Tom Thibodeau played Luol Deng, Joakim Noah and Kirk Hinrich until their bodies gave out. David Lee might be learning the hard way where that one-way loyalty gets you.

Only one person has incentives that completely line up with Rose’s: Rose. There was too much at stake for his future to allow anyone else to make injury-related decisions for him, and credit him for understanding that.

1. bigmeechy74 - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I agree with his thinking and his decision but he could’ve found a better word than “selfish” to use. The press is gonna eat this up

• adoombray - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Unless the press feels like agreeing with him, and paints an entirely different picture of “this is what you are supposed to do”, which, to PBT’s credit is the attitude this site took. Kurt (Note: He’s the Editor in Chief, so I’m mentioning him even though Feldman posted this) is terrible with proper nouns, but he gets the narrative right most of the time without being a total corporate schill or outright trolling us like

• adoombray - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

*****I couldnt say anything or they’ll censor the post and also I just figured out you can’t use or it doesn’t even make it to the website*****

• fanofevilempire - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I back him 100% and I’m a knick fan.

• 1historian - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:18 AM

I’m with you on pt. 1.

Pt. 2 – you have my sympathy

Go Celts

• philtration - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM

If Rose cured cancer and could urinate chilled Champaign the press would tear him down.
      This is what they do.
      The only time they are happy is if they are ripping someone, psreading TMZ style gossip or reporting the latest tragedy with a smile and a sparkle in their eyes.

• philtration - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:36 PM

This is what they do.

• kingbeason52 - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I think the main issue everyone had with Rose is that he did not just call it a season..he kept dragging it out

2. lmoneyfresh - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

In the end, Rose made the right decision. Fans and media can get up in arms about things but Rose is the only one with Rose’s best interests truly in mind. Next season he will come back and light things up and those people who complained will forget about the “controversy” real quick.

3. money2long - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM

can’t wait to see you play again.

4. lenbias34pt - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I love Rose……………..but if the team doctor and 2 of his personal doctors told him it won’t get any better than right now, he wasn’t selfish he was scared.

Not a terrible thing to be scared about. It might speak to his intelligence…….but like it or not he burned a season for a Bulls team primed for a ring.
    Will he ever have such a good shot?
    You can’t say conclusively.

5. elcapitanfiscal - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Go d rose..if you came back early and and hurt ur knee again even worse, the bulls would be trying to get rid of you in a new york minute..its all business..

6. nokoolaidcowboy - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

What didn’t help this drama is that you (Rose) agreed to hype your injury through those sneaker commercials. THAT’S where you and your PR team thought it was a good idea to exploit your situation. And you made some penny off it, correct?

Just play ball man. Do it when you are ready, but play ball.

7. patfic15 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Wouldn’t of beat the Heat anyway.

• soflasfinest - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Exactly. The haters tend to forget we beat the bulls 4-1 WITH a healthy rose!

• loubearkane - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

The Heat this year wasn’t as good as last year in the playoffs.

• chicitybulls - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Yep. Cause what happened 2 yrs ago with a different team means you can extrapolate that out until….forever, right? Why even play any more games? Truth is we don’t know for sure what would have happened THIS year. We’ll get to see moving forward though.

• pudgalvin - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

And dirk nowitzki, Jason terry and Tyson chandler beat the heat the same year the heat beat the bulls.

8. apkyletexas - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yes BUT – the Heat were there for the taking. They could barely even contain Nate Robinson. Derrick may never get such an easy chance again.

• zacksdad - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I wonder how he will feel if 10 years from now he does not get another good chance a t a ring. Kobe knows he only gets so many chances. That is why the Spurs were so hurt when they had the champion in the bag on game 6 vs Heat. They understand, D Rose is too young to understand.

• miamatt - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I don’t see how dropping a rusty, hesitant Rose onto that Bulls squad would’ve made them better than the Pacers or the Spurs.

I know what you mean, the Heat appeared vulnerable at times with Wade not consistently playing to his career standards, but if last year would’ve an easy chance for Derrick, then I’d hate to see a fat chance.

9. lionsplayoffs - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

It had to have something to do with insurance money.

10. onbucky96 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Oh, okay then. No harm done. I’m sure the Bulls wouldn’t have challenged the Heat or anything if he’d played. Freaking Quitter.

11. spideysdog - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Dan,

I can’t agree with you more. you are 100% correct. only Rose knows hos body and every athlete will tell you that when you play scared, your way more prone to be injured. anybody knocking him for taking care of him is the same person that would be blasting the Bulls if he came back and reinjured it.

All of that being said…. I’m not feeling good, if I’m a bulls fan, about Rose being the centerpiece of my team. the mentality, is off. somebody please tell me that in the same situation, with the playoffs and a trophy on the line, that Kobe, Michael, Larry, Magic, LBJ or Duncan would have done the same. I don’t think a one of them would pass any opportunity, any chance to get a title. that’s why they all have won multiple titles. it’s what drives them and what makes them as great as they are.

Rose doesn’t have the same mentality. while sitting out may have been the best move, PERSONALLY, it wasn’t the killer, driven, leader move. Rose could learn a thing or two from Noah.

• mydoghasfleez - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

“Rose could learn a thing or two from Noah.”

How to wear a hair bob is one thing.

12. oldskimmy26 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Did anyone else think there was an obvious question in that interview that didn’t get asked?

The interviewer, whomever it was, never asked ANYTHING about when he would be back.

Makes me wonder if he’ll even play to start the regular season. Nothing has changed as far as his rehab status (still ongoing according to the interview), and he’s already been cleared by doctors and dominating in practice. There’s literally nothing that’s going to change between now and the start of next season.

I can’t find one single shred of evidence to lead me to believe that Rose will be on the court when the regular season starts.

• 1historian - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Sam Smith says he will be back for the whole season

13. bucrightoff - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

See I would agree…except you know he did get that $250 million contract from adidas. I mean he never has to play basketball again and he’s set for life. So why not try and at least give something when almost your entire team was killing itself to play? I agree its fear more than being selfish.

• chicitybulls - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Maybe because he wanted to make sure and feel more confident in his surgery and rehab. Maybe because he wants to compete for years and years to come and his usual level rather than just “see what would happen” this year in the playoffs after being out all year. Maybe because he looked around and saw what could happen after seeing Arenas, T-Mac, Roy, etc and didn’t want to just jump into the most important and challenging series of the year. Not sure what the money has to do with it. To me its more about that desire to compete at a high level and not so much about being set if he can’t or has a set back or becomes one of those other players. I’m sure T-Mac has made enough money over the course of his career that he may be set for life too but you see he signed on to play overseas and rode the bench on a Spurs team because he (and most guys in the league) are competitors. Just some reasons.

14. charlutes - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Agree, Dan.

15. 91devinhester23 - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

i just dont understand how he watched game 4 and game 7 vs brooklyn and thought to himself “nope, still sitting here on this bench”

if he gets back to mvp time I’ll let it slide.

16. gmsingh123 - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This whole thing smells rotten. There was something “just right” about sitting out an entire season? He couldn’t have come back a couple of weeks before the playoffs why?

17. scalfor3 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM

It astounds me how stupid people are about this. So you’ve got a 24 year old former MVP, one whose game relies heavily on explosiveness, and he’s coming back from a serious knee injury. You’ve got a team that, even with a healthy Rose, would be a long shot to beat Miami (as a Heat hater I can’t stand saying that, but its true). That’s with a healthy Rose, not one who hasn’t played NBA basketball in over a year and who has some trepidation about the strength of his surgically repaired knee. And no, no amount of “dominating in practice” comes even close to the intensity of a real NBA game, let alone playoff action against one of the leagues best defensive teams. So now you’re saying its worth risking a HOF career (remember what happened to Gilbert Arenas) and years of title contention to slightly increase your slim chances this year? Get a grip, people.

18. cofran2004 - Jul 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM

right. i agree. every time the odds are against you, you shouldnt try. thats how legends are made.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches