Jul 3, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
John Paxson had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.
John Calipari had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.
I had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.
You had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.
Everyone had an opinion on how Derrick Rose should handle his injury.
In the end, only one opinion mattered. Rose, in an interview with BullsTV:
I’m not a selfish guy at all, but having this injury and knowing what I had to go through and being smart, this is something I had to be selfish with. I couldn’t worry about anyone else but myself and my health.
Good for Rose.
The Bulls – or any other participant in this drama – have all kinds of motives to do what’s not best for Rose. Maybe they wouldn’t act on those incentives, but Rose showed a deserved degree of skepticism. Just look how Tom Thibodeau played Luol Deng, Joakim Noah and Kirk Hinrich until their bodies gave out. David Lee might be learning the hard way where that one-way loyalty gets you.
Only one person has incentives that completely line up with Rose’s: Rose. There was too much at stake for his future to allow anyone else to make injury-related decisions for him, and credit him for understanding that.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13