Jul 3, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
I like this hire. Boston made a smart move.
Brad Stevens was a coach on the rise, something a lot of people recognized around basketball. He used the principles of advanced statistics and a focus on defense to win at least 22 games a year at Butler and become one of the hottest coaches in the college game. As Dan Devine noted at Ball Don’t Lie, hiring a coach is a matter of balancing risk and reward and in this case there is the potential of a lot of reward without that much risk.
This could really work…
Providing Boston is fully committed to rebuilding.
The worst thing Boston can do is a pseudo rebuild where Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green and Brandon Bass make the Celtics decent — like six to 10 seed in the middle of the pack with some big contracts like Green and Gerald Wallace being an anchor on a total rebuild. That is how you get stuck in a rut in the middle of the conference.
If the Celtics are going to rebuild, they should go the Full Wiggins. If you’re going to be bad, be bad.
You can argue that at 27 and with plenty of skills, the Celtics should rebuild around Rondo. It could work, but to me he’s a No. 2 guy, a facilitator on a good team who makes guys better, but he still needs guys with boatloads of talent to set up. That’s what he was with Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce from 2008 to 2010. But he’s not a guy who can carry a team by himself ala Kobe Bryant or LeBron James.
If you rebuild with Rondo, you still need one of those guys. And with Rondo on the roster it’s harder to get him via the draft. With those big contracts on the books, it’s harder to get one via free agency.
Stevens is a young at age 36. That is younger than Jason Kidd, younger than Kevin Garnett, but also the same age as Pat Riley when he got his first job. He is well suited to coaching and helping grow a younger team.
The Celtics need to give him that younger team — meaning if they can find a good deal for Rajon Rondo, pull the trigger. Go young, sell some hope in Boston in a few years.
Because Stevens is a guy who might well be able to deliver on his promise, if you give him time and the right team.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)