Jul 2, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
The Clippers needed a few things to become serious title contenders in the West. One was a more consistent defense, Doc Rivers has to help handle that (and mature DeAndre Jordan’s game).
They also needed a two guard and wings who could stretch the floor — you can check that off the list.
This is suddenly looking like one very dangerous Los Angeles team.
The Clippers, Suns and Bucks have put together a three-team trade that will send J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley to the Clippers, Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to the Suns, and the Bucks get two second round picks, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The deal breaks down that the Clippers send Bledsoe and Butler to Phoenix for Dudley (an underrated jack-of-all-trades swingman with a better career three point percentage than Redick). Then the Clippers do a sign-and-trade with the Bucks for Redick and send the Bucks picks (a second from the Clips, a second from the Suns).
This is a great deal for the Clippers — Redick is a great fit for them, one of the best sharpshooters in the game. Chris Paul picks apart defenses and finds open guys, Blake Griffin attacks the rim and creates space, Redick is going to find gaps, space the floor and get a lot of good looks. Plus, he’s developed a solid all around game. Dudley is an upgrade over Caron Butler — Dudley is a career 40 percent shooter from three, is a good solid role player, is six years younger and had a better PER last season. The Clippers should go looking for a defensive wing stopper to add to this roster, that is one hole they still have, but this is still a big upgrade.
This is a nice get for a rebuilding Suns team — Bledsoe can be the point guard of the future, one of the keys of a rebuilding process. Bledsoe is eligible for an extension and should get a good one from the Suns. Butler can play a role for a year, but Bledsoe is a smart get for them. (He’s not going to save the Suns next season, they lack shooting and will be terrible, but that is rebuilding.)
The Bucks had no leverage in this, they could have lost Redick for nothing, so a couple second round picks is better than that.
However, the Clippers are the big winners here.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50