Jul 2, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
The Timberwolves shot 30.5 percent on 3-pointers last season, dead last in the league. The difference between Minnesota and the 29th-place Magic was great than the difference between the third-best 3-point shooting team and the 21st-best 3-point shooting team.
Not only did the Timberwolves need someone capable of making shots from beyond the arc, they needed a shooting guard so point guard Luke Ridnour could stop masquerading as an off guard.
Enter Kevin Martin.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
I’m a little surprised Martin didn’t shop around for a better offer, but at least this deal will make him a starter after spending a season as Oklahoma City’s sixth man. Plus, if he waited to take the offer, it might not have remained available.
The Timberwolves will almost certainly have to renounce Andrei Kirilenko (who might make sense to the Spurs for the mid-level exception) to sign Martin. There’s no guarantee Minnesota would have done that if it had to wait for Martin.
Martin is 30, which would make him considerably less desirable to non-contending teams. Contenders might also worry about his underwhelming postseason. With this deal, Martin is locked in and longer has to worry about those issues. (He can’t sign until July 10, but these deals are all but official).
Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio and now Chase Budinger and Martin give the Timberwolves have a promising lineup capable of making the playoffs next season – as long as they lock up restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic. Other players like Derrick Williams, Luke Ridnour and Jose Barea could be quality backups or useful trade chips.
The Thunder, who lose Martin, are starting from a much higher point than Minnesota, but the loss of Martin stings. They’ll need another bench scorer, and perhaps they turn to Dorell Wright. He’d likely be a downgrade, but it’s a continuation of the process Oklahoma City began when trading James Harden for Martin – sacrificing production in the name of saving money.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 6
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4