Jul 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
The Spurs have two key free agents: Manu Ginobili and Tiago Splitter. Ginobili will likely re-sign at a remarkably reduced cost than the $14 million he made last season, but Splitter will have other suitors bidding for him. Though Splitter is a restricted free agent, the Spurs have the flexibility to let him walk if he signs an offer sheet higher than their liking.
That’s because, if it weren’t for the cap holds of Ginobili and Splitter, the Spurs would have plenty of cap space. With Ginobili counting against the cap at an amount lower than his cap hold and Splitter signed elsewhere, San Antonio could pursue other free agents.
sources close to the situation tell ESPN.com that the Spurs are seriously interested in free-agent forward Andrei Kirilenko
Splitter struggled at times during the NBA Finals, and the Spurs benched him to play small ball. Kirilenko could slide into the starting lineup at power forward with Tim Duncan shifting to center, perhaps better equipping San Antonio to play that style.
Splitter (28) is considerably younger than Kirilenko (32), but if the window to win around Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginobili is closing, that might not matter much to San Antonio. Kirilenko could have been paid more than $10 million this season, but he opted out of his contract to seek a long-term deal. If the Spurs let Splitter walk, they might even be able to get Kirilenko and a second quality player in Splitter’s place.
While negotiating with Kirilenko, San Antonio can also gauge whether he’d sign for the non-taxpayer mid-level exception ($5.15 million). The Spurs might even get the best-case scenario of keeping Ginobili and Splitter and signing Kirilenko.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 4
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 4
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18