Jul 2, 2013, 1:09 PM EST
While other teams tried to get their foot in the door, it was always expected that David West would return to the Indiana Pacers. He was their top off-season priority.
It looks like the two sides have almost got a deal done — a three-year deal with the third year being a team option, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
This is a three year, $36 million deal, according to Sam Amick of the USA Today, which is a raise from the $10 million a year he made the past two years. While West will be 33 next season, last season was one of his best as a professional so the length of the deal is not a huge risk.
West’s versatile offensive game is key for the Pacers. He averaged 17.1 points and 7.7 rebounds a game in the regular season, 15.9 points and 7.6 rebounds in the playoffs. He is a good scorer in the post, where he got 40 percent of his opportunities last season and shot 47.3 percent while drawing a lot of fouls (via Synergy Sports). But West is also one of the best pick-and-pop bigs in the league and will knock down the midrange jumper. He can work in the high or low post and that versatility helps the Pacers. He’s also solid on defense.
With him back in the fold, and with Danny Granger returning and the acquisition of C.J. Watson (an upgrade at the backup point) the Pacers are ready to challenge for the Eastern conference title again.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)