Jul 2, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Part of the trade that brings Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks — because an oft-injured three-point shooting big man who doesn’t rebound, is a poor defender and is owed $22 million over the next two years was a need in New York — flipped veteran big man Marcus Camby to the Raptors.
Toronto is who drafted Camby, but it’s not where he wants to play now — he wants to finish his career out on a contender. If not, he might just decide to walk away and retire.
The Raptors don’t want to get nothing for Camby, so trade options are being explored, reports Doug Smith at the Toronto Sun.
Camby, originally drafted by the Raptors in 1996, isn’t likely to ever suit up for Toronto; he wants to end a long career trying to win a championship.
Toronto sources say Ujiri does not yet have a landing spot for Camby but the Raptors GM does have more than a week to find a way to flip him for some other asset. Not doing so risks having to buy Camby out of the last guaranteed year of his contract and get nothing in return for the veteran centre.
The Raptors will be making other moves, also. Well, unless you think Dwane Casey can rind a rotation that could play DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Terrence Ross, Landry Fields, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson and Linas Kleiza out on the wings during games. Good luck with that. So expect a couple more deals out of Toronto.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30