Jul 2, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Part of the trade that brings Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks — because an oft-injured three-point shooting big man who doesn’t rebound, is a poor defender and is owed $22 million over the next two years was a need in New York — flipped veteran big man Marcus Camby to the Raptors.
Toronto is who drafted Camby, but it’s not where he wants to play now — he wants to finish his career out on a contender. If not, he might just decide to walk away and retire.
The Raptors don’t want to get nothing for Camby, so trade options are being explored, reports Doug Smith at the Toronto Sun.
Camby, originally drafted by the Raptors in 1996, isn’t likely to ever suit up for Toronto; he wants to end a long career trying to win a championship.
Toronto sources say Ujiri does not yet have a landing spot for Camby but the Raptors GM does have more than a week to find a way to flip him for some other asset. Not doing so risks having to buy Camby out of the last guaranteed year of his contract and get nothing in return for the veteran centre.
The Raptors will be making other moves, also. Well, unless you think Dwane Casey can rind a rotation that could play DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Terrence Ross, Landry Fields, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson and Linas Kleiza out on the wings during games. Good luck with that. So expect a couple more deals out of Toronto.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 4
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 27
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31