Kobe Bryant says he wants to play another three years

Jul 2, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Before Kobe Bryant went down with his Achilles tendon injury, he sounded like a guy who wanted to play another year, maybe two, then hang them up. He dropped all kinds of hints about that.

Now he is changing his tune.

Kobe sat down for an interview with Mike Trudell of Lakers.com and talked about his legacy and how his injury has changed his perspective and how he wants to stick around.

“I feel pretty damn confident I can be at a high level for at least another three years. I feel like how I was playing last year – I know I’ll be healthy and I’ll be ready to go this year – I know what I can bring. And I think I can easily do that for another three years.

“I think the (Achilles) injury has something to do with it. It really increased the drive. And probably San Antonio getting so close to winning No. 5, probably hurt me a little bit too. I want to make sure I push the ring count out a little further. It was really, really close there. They played phenomenally well. But it’s a testament to what skill can do. To what us old guys can do if you play together, if you play with one mind and one purpose you can accomplish great things. It was inspirational for me and hopefully inspirational for the city of Los Angeles and this organization of what we can do, how this tide can change fairly quickly and we’ll be looking at a parade.”

If you’re Dwight Howard, sitting down with the Lakers on Tuesday to hear their pitch about how you are their future, how does this sit with you?

It’s just very Kobe to have a new obstacle thrown up in his was so now he’s energized for more seasons as he tries to conquer it.

Kobe is not going to be the same player upon his return. An Achilles injury at his age means he is going to lose some explosiveness, some quickness. The thing is Kobe’s game had already shifted from using that explosiveness to more using his footwork, his fundamentals and his high hoops IQ to get his shots in his space. That’s not going away. Kobe is not going to be as great a player as he was, but he can still be good.

The question is will there be enough talent on the roster to get him the ring he craves.

Latest Posts
  1. Gregg Popovich after Spurs go 2-5 in preseason: ‘We look like we’re not very interested’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Gregg Popovich Gregg Popovich

Defending champs have no reason to exert themselves until the games count in the standings.

2. Nets head coach Hollins believes Brook Lopez will be ready for opening night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

Lopez hasn’t practiced since it was reported he suffered a soft tissue injury to his surgically repaired foot on Oct. 16.

3. Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors hold (almost) all the leverage, because Thompson will be a restricted free agent next summer.

4. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his team’s chances when playing with the starters.

5. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

6. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

7. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

8. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

9. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

10. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

11. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

12. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches