Jul 2, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
The reaction among the Kings front office to the news Tyreke Evans had a four year, $44 million offer coming in from the Pelicans is pretty much the same one you had: They are going to pay him how much?
While they may ultimately decide not to, the Kings are considering matching the offer, reports the Sacramento Bee.
A source speaking on the condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, indicated the Kings are considering matching the offer, even though the Pelicans’ offer sheet is above what they thought Evans would receive from another team.
Evans met with the new management of the Kings and came away impressed. He likes them. Doesn’t mean he is giving them a discount.
Last season Evans quietly had a season much closer in quality to his Rookie of the Year campaign. He improved as a shooter — he averaged 15.2 points a game and hit a career best 33.2 percent from three — and seemed to find a comfort level. He still has a lot of promise of improvement. But will the Kings pay $11 million a year to see if that promise pans out?
Evans cannot sign the offer until July 10, so he continues to meet with other teams such as the Hawks. Before that date the Kings could also just decide to step up and give him the same offer.
If not, if Evans signs the New Orleans deal, the Kings then have three days to decide if they will match the offer.
Smart money still says the Kings let him go. But the Kings are at least thinking about it.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 34
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 29