Jul 2, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
The reaction among the Kings front office to the news Tyreke Evans had a four year, $44 million offer coming in from the Pelicans is pretty much the same one you had: They are going to pay him how much?
While they may ultimately decide not to, the Kings are considering matching the offer, reports the Sacramento Bee.
A source speaking on the condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, indicated the Kings are considering matching the offer, even though the Pelicans’ offer sheet is above what they thought Evans would receive from another team.
Evans met with the new management of the Kings and came away impressed. He likes them. Doesn’t mean he is giving them a discount.
Last season Evans quietly had a season much closer in quality to his Rookie of the Year campaign. He improved as a shooter — he averaged 15.2 points a game and hit a career best 33.2 percent from three — and seemed to find a comfort level. He still has a lot of promise of improvement. But will the Kings pay $11 million a year to see if that promise pans out?
Evans cannot sign the offer until July 10, so he continues to meet with other teams such as the Hawks. Before that date the Kings could also just decide to step up and give him the same offer.
If not, if Evans signs the New Orleans deal, the Kings then have three days to decide if they will match the offer.
Smart money still says the Kings let him go. But the Kings are at least thinking about it.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39