Jul 2, 2013, 8:24 PM EDT
The reaction among the Kings front office to the news Tyreke Evans had a four year, $44 million offer coming in from the Pelicans is pretty much the same one you had: They are going to pay him how much?
While they may ultimately decide not to, the Kings are considering matching the offer, reports the Sacramento Bee.
A source speaking on the condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, indicated the Kings are considering matching the offer, even though the Pelicans’ offer sheet is above what they thought Evans would receive from another team.
Evans met with the new management of the Kings and came away impressed. He likes them. Doesn’t mean he is giving them a discount.
Last season Evans quietly had a season much closer in quality to his Rookie of the Year campaign. He improved as a shooter — he averaged 15.2 points a game and hit a career best 33.2 percent from three — and seemed to find a comfort level. He still has a lot of promise of improvement. But will the Kings pay $11 million a year to see if that promise pans out?
Evans cannot sign the offer until July 10, so he continues to meet with other teams such as the Hawks. Before that date the Kings could also just decide to step up and give him the same offer.
If not, if Evans signs the New Orleans deal, the Kings then have three days to decide if they will match the offer.
Smart money still says the Kings let him go. But the Kings are at least thinking about it.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 23
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19