Jul 2, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
When the Pistons traded for Jose Calderon and his expiring contract, they immediately stressed they didn’t view him as a one-year rental. After years of subpar point guard play since they traded Chauncey Billups, Calderon brought playmaking skills to the position Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey couldn’t come close to matching.
But Calderon and Andre Drummond traded injuries, and Calderon, despite playing pretty well in Detroit, never really looked completely comfortable in Detroit.
So, if the Pistons still want to re-sign Calderon – according to Chris Broussard of ESPN, they do – they’ll have plenty of competition.
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Chris Paul quickly re-signing with the Clippers should only boost Calderon’s value. He might not command the $11,046,591 he made last season, but he could still have his choice between a sizable contract and playing for a winning team.
Calderon has made the playoffs just twice in his eight-year career, never advancing past the first round. He will also turn 32 before the season begins and will probably never have a better chance to land a big contract, either.
At this point, it’s just a matter of Calderon assessing his priorities.
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 0
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 8
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31