Jul 2, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
When the Pistons traded for Jose Calderon and his expiring contract, they immediately stressed they didn’t view him as a one-year rental. After years of subpar point guard play since they traded Chauncey Billups, Calderon brought playmaking skills to the position Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey couldn’t come close to matching.
But Calderon and Andre Drummond traded injuries, and Calderon, despite playing pretty well in Detroit, never really looked completely comfortable in Detroit.
So, if the Pistons still want to re-sign Calderon – according to Chris Broussard of ESPN, they do – they’ll have plenty of competition.
Free agent guard Jose Calderon is meeting with the Kings in Sacramento today, agent Mark Bartelstein tells HoopsHype.—
HoopsHype (@hoopshype) July 02, 2013
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Chris Paul quickly re-signing with the Clippers should only boost Calderon’s value. He might not command the $11,046,591 he made last season, but he could still have his choice between a sizable contract and playing for a winning team.
Calderon has made the playoffs just twice in his eight-year career, never advancing past the first round. He will also turn 32 before the season begins and will probably never have a better chance to land a big contract, either.
At this point, it’s just a matter of Calderon assessing his priorities.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 38
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20