Jul 2, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
When the Pistons traded for Jose Calderon and his expiring contract, they immediately stressed they didn’t view him as a one-year rental. After years of subpar point guard play since they traded Chauncey Billups, Calderon brought playmaking skills to the position Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey couldn’t come close to matching.
But Calderon and Andre Drummond traded injuries, and Calderon, despite playing pretty well in Detroit, never really looked completely comfortable in Detroit.
So, if the Pistons still want to re-sign Calderon – according to Chris Broussard of ESPN, they do – they’ll have plenty of competition.
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Chris Paul quickly re-signing with the Clippers should only boost Calderon’s value. He might not command the $11,046,591 he made last season, but he could still have his choice between a sizable contract and playing for a winning team.
Calderon has made the playoffs just twice in his eight-year career, never advancing past the first round. He will also turn 32 before the season begins and will probably never have a better chance to land a big contract, either.
At this point, it’s just a matter of Calderon assessing his priorities.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11