Jul 2, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
When the Pistons traded for Jose Calderon and his expiring contract, they immediately stressed they didn’t view him as a one-year rental. After years of subpar point guard play since they traded Chauncey Billups, Calderon brought playmaking skills to the position Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey couldn’t come close to matching.
But Calderon and Andre Drummond traded injuries, and Calderon, despite playing pretty well in Detroit, never really looked completely comfortable in Detroit.
So, if the Pistons still want to re-sign Calderon – according to Chris Broussard of ESPN, they do – they’ll have plenty of competition.
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Chris Paul quickly re-signing with the Clippers should only boost Calderon’s value. He might not command the $11,046,591 he made last season, but he could still have his choice between a sizable contract and playing for a winning team.
Calderon has made the playoffs just twice in his eight-year career, never advancing past the first round. He will also turn 32 before the season begins and will probably never have a better chance to land a big contract, either.
At this point, it’s just a matter of Calderon assessing his priorities.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 17
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8