Jul 2, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups – when healthy, which wasn’t very often – started at shooting guard for the Clippers the last two years.
Now that the Clippers have upgraded their wing positions by trading for J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley, Billups, a free agent, might no longer fit in Los Angeles.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
I’m not sure why the Clippers wouldn’t welcome Billups as their backup point guard now that Eric Bledsoe is gone. Billups struggled in the playoffs (shooting 31 percent and turning the ball over more than he assisted baskets), but he was still pretty good in his regular-season. Whoever fills that role is likely to be a minimum-salaried player who doesn’t play much behind Chris Paul, anyway.
Perhaps, Billups moving from starter to reserve would be untenable with the same team. But it’s difficult to find a contender that would start Billups, so why not make it work in Los Angeles?
Billups said he had interest in signing with the Heat, and that could be his best fit. Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole certainly aren’t unimpeachable. I don’t know whether Billups would start in Miami, but Chalmers-Billups is likely a better combination than Chalmers-Cole. And if Cole improves and Billups declines to the point Cole is better than Billups, Billups would be another pro’s pro to set the tone in Miami.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 27
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 4
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 60
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6