Jul 2, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Chauncey Billups – when healthy, which wasn’t very often – started at shooting guard for the Clippers the last two years.
Now that the Clippers have upgraded their wing positions by trading for J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley, Billups, a free agent, might no longer fit in Los Angeles.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
I’m not sure why the Clippers wouldn’t welcome Billups as their backup point guard now that Eric Bledsoe is gone. Billups struggled in the playoffs (shooting 31 percent and turning the ball over more than he assisted baskets), but he was still pretty good in his regular-season. Whoever fills that role is likely to be a minimum-salaried player who doesn’t play much behind Chris Paul, anyway.
Perhaps, Billups moving from starter to reserve would be untenable with the same team. But it’s difficult to find a contender that would start Billups, so why not make it work in Los Angeles?
Billups said he had interest in signing with the Heat, and that could be his best fit. Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole certainly aren’t unimpeachable. I don’t know whether Billups would start in Miami, but Chalmers-Billups is likely a better combination than Chalmers-Cole. And if Cole improves and Billups declines to the point Cole is better than Billups, Billups would be another pro’s pro to set the tone in Miami.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 1
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20