Jul 2, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Chauncey Billups – when healthy, which wasn’t very often – started at shooting guard for the Clippers the last two years.
Now that the Clippers have upgraded their wing positions by trading for J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley, Billups, a free agent, might no longer fit in Los Angeles.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
In light of Redick, Dudley, LAC stills want to re-sign Matt Barnes but "may be tough" to bring back Chauncey Billups,too,NBA source tells Y!—
Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) July 02, 2013
I’m not sure why the Clippers wouldn’t welcome Billups as their backup point guard now that Eric Bledsoe is gone. Billups struggled in the playoffs (shooting 31 percent and turning the ball over more than he assisted baskets), but he was still pretty good in his regular-season. Whoever fills that role is likely to be a minimum-salaried player who doesn’t play much behind Chris Paul, anyway.
Perhaps, Billups moving from starter to reserve would be untenable with the same team. But it’s difficult to find a contender that would start Billups, so why not make it work in Los Angeles?
Billups said he had interest in signing with the Heat, and that could be his best fit. Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole certainly aren’t unimpeachable. I don’t know whether Billups would start in Miami, but Chalmers-Billups is likely a better combination than Chalmers-Cole. And if Cole improves and Billups declines to the point Cole is better than Billups, Billups would be another pro’s pro to set the tone in Miami.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20