Jul 2, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Chauncey Billups – when healthy, which wasn’t very often – started at shooting guard for the Clippers the last two years.
Now that the Clippers have upgraded their wing positions by trading for J.J. Redick and Jared Dudley, Billups, a free agent, might no longer fit in Los Angeles.
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
I’m not sure why the Clippers wouldn’t welcome Billups as their backup point guard now that Eric Bledsoe is gone. Billups struggled in the playoffs (shooting 31 percent and turning the ball over more than he assisted baskets), but he was still pretty good in his regular-season. Whoever fills that role is likely to be a minimum-salaried player who doesn’t play much behind Chris Paul, anyway.
Perhaps, Billups moving from starter to reserve would be untenable with the same team. But it’s difficult to find a contender that would start Billups, so why not make it work in Los Angeles?
Billups said he had interest in signing with the Heat, and that could be his best fit. Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole certainly aren’t unimpeachable. I don’t know whether Billups would start in Miami, but Chalmers-Billups is likely a better combination than Chalmers-Cole. And if Cole improves and Billups declines to the point Cole is better than Billups, Billups would be another pro’s pro to set the tone in Miami.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 8
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54