Jul 2, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
The Lakers are essentially consumed with Dwight Howard at the moment, and are awaiting his free agent decision before they can begin to make moves to solidify the team’s roster for next season.
While they wait, one of their key big men is in negotiations with someone else.
Earl Clark played a significant role for the Lakers last season, and showed some signs as a solid defensive presence and capable rebounder whose production peaked when given the opportunity to play real minutes once Pau Gasol went down with a foot injury.
Clark is an unrestricted free agent, however, and there are teams that will likely pay more than what the Lakers can offer for a big man with his skill set. The Cavaliers are one of them, and they are in the process of negotiating for Clark’s services.
Free-agent forward Earl Clark met with the Cavaliers in Cleveland on Tuesday, and though no contract offers were made, the two sides are expected to meet again Wednesday, a source told Sporting News.
The source labeled the interest between Clark and the Cavaliers “very mutual.”
Clark averaged career-highs in points (7.3), rebounds (5.5), and minutes played (23.1) with the Lakers last season, but he, like anyone else on the Lakers free agent radar, will have to wait on what Howard decides before the team will engage.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 3
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18