Jul 2, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
The Lakers are essentially consumed with Dwight Howard at the moment, and are awaiting his free agent decision before they can begin to make moves to solidify the team’s roster for next season.
While they wait, one of their key big men is in negotiations with someone else.
Earl Clark played a significant role for the Lakers last season, and showed some signs as a solid defensive presence and capable rebounder whose production peaked when given the opportunity to play real minutes once Pau Gasol went down with a foot injury.
Clark is an unrestricted free agent, however, and there are teams that will likely pay more than what the Lakers can offer for a big man with his skill set. The Cavaliers are one of them, and they are in the process of negotiating for Clark’s services.
Free-agent forward Earl Clark met with the Cavaliers in Cleveland on Tuesday, and though no contract offers were made, the two sides are expected to meet again Wednesday, a source told Sporting News.
The source labeled the interest between Clark and the Cavaliers “very mutual.”
Clark averaged career-highs in points (7.3), rebounds (5.5), and minutes played (23.1) with the Lakers last season, but he, like anyone else on the Lakers free agent radar, will have to wait on what Howard decides before the team will engage.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6