Jul 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Clippers re-signing of Chris Paul to a max contract in free agency this summer was only the beginning of their plans to add talent and tweak the roster so that it’s more immediately ready to compete for a championship under new head coach Doc Rivers.
The decision of whether or not to trade reserve guard Eric Bledsoe, who many around the league believe will evolve into a starting talent that the Clippers will be unable to afford to keep very soon, is being mulled by Rivers, but he’d like to keep him in the short term to see exactly what he’s got.
That hasn’t stopped Rivers from scheduling meetings with players they’d likely need to deal Bledsoe for in order to add to the roster — he reportedly met with J.J. Redick on Monday, and has a lunch date with O.J. Mayo on Tuesday.
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 2, 2013
Mayo is an unrestricted free agent, and L.A would likely need to work out a sign-and-trade in order to get him. The Mavericks are looking for immediate talent additions to avoid missing the playoffs again in one of Dirk Nowitzki‘s final seasons, so they’d likely want a young talent like Bledsoe back in return for Mayo’s services.
Another free agent the Clippers are looking at is Carl Landry, who is coming off a nice season as a reserve for the Warriors.
Carl Landry meets w/ Doc Rivers and Clippers tonight, sources tell Y! Free agent forward was a favorite of Chris Paul’s w/ New Orleans.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 2, 2013
Landry is an unrestricted free agent as well, though his salary range might make it so that L.A. can add him without parting ways with Bledsoe.
We’ll see how it all shakes out, but one thing is clear: The Clippers are in championship-or-bust mode, and that feels really strange to say.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85