Jul 1, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
The Magic, reportedly, wanted to draft a point guard with the No. 2 pick in the draft. But Marcus Smart went back to Oklahoma State, and drafting Michigan’s Trey Burke, Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams or Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum that high probably would have been a reach.
So, Orlando took Indiana shooting guard Victor Oladipo instead.
But maybe the Magic got their point guard of the future, anyway. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Something interesting to watch in summer league: Orlando's Victor Oladipo getting major run at PG – in mold of young Russell Westbrook.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 01, 2013
First of all, this is just summer league, and it doesn’t matter much. Plus, Oladipo faces legitimate ball-handling questions for a shooting guard, let alone a point guard.
But I like the plan.
Oladipo has more upside as a point guard, because that’s a more important position, so what’s the harm in trying? There’s plenty of time to adjust back to shooting guard if it doesn’t work. In the meantime, Oladipo will get a crash course that will help improve his biggest weakness.
And even if Oladipo struggles as a point guard in the summer league, Orlando could continue getting him helpful reps there during the regular season in an effort to tank for Andrew Wiggins. Win-win.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 6
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 1
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 15
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 23
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 19