Jul 1, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
The Magic, reportedly, wanted to draft a point guard with the No. 2 pick in the draft. But Marcus Smart went back to Oklahoma State, and drafting Michigan’s Trey Burke, Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams or Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum that high probably would have been a reach.
So, Orlando took Indiana shooting guard Victor Oladipo instead.
But maybe the Magic got their point guard of the future, anyway. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Something interesting to watch in summer league: Orlando's Victor Oladipo getting major run at PG – in mold of young Russell Westbrook.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 01, 2013
First of all, this is just summer league, and it doesn’t matter much. Plus, Oladipo faces legitimate ball-handling questions for a shooting guard, let alone a point guard.
But I like the plan.
Oladipo has more upside as a point guard, because that’s a more important position, so what’s the harm in trying? There’s plenty of time to adjust back to shooting guard if it doesn’t work. In the meantime, Oladipo will get a crash course that will help improve his biggest weakness.
And even if Oladipo struggles as a point guard in the summer league, Orlando could continue getting him helpful reps there during the regular season in an effort to tank for Andrew Wiggins. Win-win.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 19
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54