Jul 1, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
The Magic, reportedly, wanted to draft a point guard with the No. 2 pick in the draft. But Marcus Smart went back to Oklahoma State, and drafting Michigan’s Trey Burke, Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams or Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum that high probably would have been a reach.
So, Orlando took Indiana shooting guard Victor Oladipo instead.
But maybe the Magic got their point guard of the future, anyway. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Something interesting to watch in summer league: Orlando's Victor Oladipo getting major run at PG – in mold of young Russell Westbrook.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 01, 2013
First of all, this is just summer league, and it doesn’t matter much. Plus, Oladipo faces legitimate ball-handling questions for a shooting guard, let alone a point guard.
But I like the plan.
Oladipo has more upside as a point guard, because that’s a more important position, so what’s the harm in trying? There’s plenty of time to adjust back to shooting guard if it doesn’t work. In the meantime, Oladipo will get a crash course that will help improve his biggest weakness.
And even if Oladipo struggles as a point guard in the summer league, Orlando could continue getting him helpful reps there during the regular season in an effort to tank for Andrew Wiggins. Win-win.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65