Jul 1, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
The Magic, reportedly, wanted to draft a point guard with the No. 2 pick in the draft. But Marcus Smart went back to Oklahoma State, and drafting Michigan’s Trey Burke, Syracuse’s Michael Carter-Williams or Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum that high probably would have been a reach.
So, Orlando took Indiana shooting guard Victor Oladipo instead.
But maybe the Magic got their point guard of the future, anyway. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Something interesting to watch in summer league: Orlando's Victor Oladipo getting major run at PG – in mold of young Russell Westbrook.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 01, 2013
First of all, this is just summer league, and it doesn’t matter much. Plus, Oladipo faces legitimate ball-handling questions for a shooting guard, let alone a point guard.
But I like the plan.
Oladipo has more upside as a point guard, because that’s a more important position, so what’s the harm in trying? There’s plenty of time to adjust back to shooting guard if it doesn’t work. In the meantime, Oladipo will get a crash course that will help improve his biggest weakness.
And even if Oladipo struggles as a point guard in the summer league, Orlando could continue getting him helpful reps there during the regular season in an effort to tank for Andrew Wiggins. Win-win.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 0
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)