Jul 1, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
There are going to be a series of these reports in the coming days — no team is going to come out of its free agent meetings with Dwight Howard and say, “well, that sucked.”
But the Rockets went into the first meeting with free agent Dwight Howard feeling confident and they put on quite a pitch — Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler took part, and Yao Ming joined the pitch on Skype.
First came a tweet from Rocket GM Daryl Morey.
After more than 2 ½ hours meeting with Howard and his representatives at the Bel-Air Hotel, the Rockets were encouraged by many things, but mostly that Howard’s interest seemed to be about the potential to win championships with the Rockets.
According to a person with knowledge of the conversations, “about 90 percent” of Howard’s questions were about the team, its potential and how he would fit.
The Rockets believe (and they are right) that if Howard really is basing his decision fully on basketball they are in the best position — Howard and James Harden with a few good role players around them move into the contender conversation.
But this is Dwight Howard and his decision making process in the past has not been exactly linear. He has other options — meetings with the Lakers, Mavericks, Hawks and Warriors — and things to consider. So expect more of these reports until Howard makes his decision public.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10