Jul 1, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
There are going to be a series of these reports in the coming days — no team is going to come out of its free agent meetings with Dwight Howard and say, “well, that sucked.”
But the Rockets went into the first meeting with free agent Dwight Howard feeling confident and they put on quite a pitch — Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler took part, and Yao Ming joined the pitch on Skype.
First came a tweet from Rocket GM Daryl Morey.
After more than 2 ½ hours meeting with Howard and his representatives at the Bel-Air Hotel, the Rockets were encouraged by many things, but mostly that Howard’s interest seemed to be about the potential to win championships with the Rockets.
According to a person with knowledge of the conversations, “about 90 percent” of Howard’s questions were about the team, its potential and how he would fit.
The Rockets believe (and they are right) that if Howard really is basing his decision fully on basketball they are in the best position — Howard and James Harden with a few good role players around them move into the contender conversation.
But this is Dwight Howard and his decision making process in the past has not been exactly linear. He has other options — meetings with the Lakers, Mavericks, Hawks and Warriors — and things to consider. So expect more of these reports until Howard makes his decision public.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4