Jul 1, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The 2013 NBA playoffs were filled with many incredible moments: Ray Allen’s 3-pointer to send Game 6 of the NBA Finals to overtime, LeBron James making a game-winning layup with Roy Hibbert on the bench, Nate Robinson carrying the Bulls to a triple-overtime win and many more.
One moment that might have appeared to deserve mention – David Lee playing after suffering an injury that should have ended his season – was actually one of the postseason’s worst. Here’s why, per Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
The Golden State Warriors are exploring trade opportunities for All-Star forward David Lee and the three years, $44 million left on his contract, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.Lee, 30, is a popular and well-respected player within the Golden State franchise but his contract is considerable, and moving him for a star – or a player on a shorter deal – makes financial sense.
There’s a huge difference between a useful player competing through an injury and Golden State using Lee as a gimmick. If Mark Jackson wanted to motivate his team, he should have found other ways, and I believe he was capable. Jackson is one of the NBA’s most inspiring head coaches. Playing Lee was just an easy way out.
Now that the Warriors are considering trading him – a reasonable option on the merit of creating salary-cap flexibility, especially considering how successful they were in the playoffs after his injury – I wonder whether Lee regrets sacrificing his already-injured body for the team.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23