Jul 1, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
So, once again, Oklahoma City is ready to downgrade.
Oklahoma City has begun an aggressive pursuit of Philadelphia free-agent guard Dorell Wright, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The return of Kevin Martin to the Thunder appears unlikely, unless the market for him dries up completely and he has to return at a far lower rate than he’s trying to find, league sources said.
Wright is a nice fallback option, but he’s not Martin, who’s not Harden. With Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka, the Thunder can contend for a championship right now. This is the time they shouldn’t be cheap, because even the slightest difference could make the difference between an NBA Finals loss and a title – a much, much, much larger difference than, say, a first-round loss or second-round appearance.
Durant and Westbrook could create plenty of outside looks for Wright, who’s a good 3-point shooter, but Martin can better fill that role. Wright is younger than Martin, so his future might be brighter, but like I said, Oklahoma City should be focused on now.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 1
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 2
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 8
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)