Jul 1, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
So, once again, Oklahoma City is ready to downgrade.
Oklahoma City has begun an aggressive pursuit of Philadelphia free-agent guard Dorell Wright, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The return of Kevin Martin to the Thunder appears unlikely, unless the market for him dries up completely and he has to return at a far lower rate than he’s trying to find, league sources said.
Wright is a nice fallback option, but he’s not Martin, who’s not Harden. With Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka, the Thunder can contend for a championship right now. This is the time they shouldn’t be cheap, because even the slightest difference could make the difference between an NBA Finals loss and a title – a much, much, much larger difference than, say, a first-round loss or second-round appearance.
Durant and Westbrook could create plenty of outside looks for Wright, who’s a good 3-point shooter, but Martin can better fill that role. Wright is younger than Martin, so his future might be brighter, but like I said, Oklahoma City should be focused on now.
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 1
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 79
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11