Jul 1, 2013, 12:49 AM EDT
Dumars appears to be going full speed ahead to get his man again.
Detroit Pistons general manager Joe Dumars met with Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith at 12:01 a.m. ET with a plan to make the free agent forward a substantial four-year offer, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Along with re-signing point guard Jose Calderon, Smith is the Pistons’ top priority on the market, league sources told Y! Sports.
The Pistons planned to make a preemptive strike on Smith, understanding that he’s a secondary priority for several teams awaiting the resolution of the Dwight Howard derby, sources said.
Smith shot 72 percent in the restricted area, but just 31 percent everywhere else. If he signs with the Pistons, barring Detroit making another move, Smith would have to play plenty of small forward with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. That frontline would leave a lot of spacing to be desired in the half-court.
Can Smith make up for that in transition and on the defensive end, two areas where he excels? Maybe. His transition chances might be hurt by the Pistons’ lack of a playmaking point guard, but the defensive benefits should more reliable.
Smith, without a doubt, would definitely upgrade the Pistons’ talent, and they badly need more talent. But like all free agents, it should come down to the cost.
Allowing Smith to slip away would make the Hawks even more desperate to sign Dwight Howard, but at this point, they seem ready to risk their future on the chance of Howard rather than settling for the middling playoff success they’ve experienced under Smith.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6