Jul 1, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
The Dallas Mavericks need a point guard, especially since they are letting Darren Collison walk.
We know that Israeli based Gal Mekel has agreed to terms on a multi-year guaranteed contract with Dallas, as first reported by Mark Deeks at Sham Sports (a guy well connected with overseas talent).
Mekel played for Wichita State between 2006 and 2008, establishing himself as a solid but unspectacular point guard who shot too much and had absolutely no NBA prospects. However, after leaving college after his sophomore season and returning to his native Israel, Mekel (who also has a Polish passport) has improved markedly and emerged as one of the best floor generals on the continent. In winning last year’s Israel Premier League MVP award, the 6’3 Mekel recorded per game averages of 13.3 points and 5.4 assists (good for second in the league), including a 21 point 7 assist 3 steal outing in the deciding championship game
Mekel is a pure point guard, a pass-first guy who is a classic floor general. He’s had a few NBA teams interested the last year (Timberwolves, Bucks, Pacers, Hawks, Grizzlies) but Dallas got the deal done.
Mekel’s deal is for the minimum, which will not mess with Dallas’ Dwight Howard cap space.
But Mekel is a backup in the NBA, at least to start, so the Mavericks reached out to a couple potential starters, reports ESPNDallas.com.
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Calderon would be a great fit and the better of the two as a pure point, but the Mavericks need to look at a few options.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 4
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20