Jul 1, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
The Dallas Mavericks need a point guard, especially since they are letting Darren Collison walk.
We know that Israeli based Gal Mekel has agreed to terms on a multi-year guaranteed contract with Dallas, as first reported by Mark Deeks at Sham Sports (a guy well connected with overseas talent).
Mekel played for Wichita State between 2006 and 2008, establishing himself as a solid but unspectacular point guard who shot too much and had absolutely no NBA prospects. However, after leaving college after his sophomore season and returning to his native Israel, Mekel (who also has a Polish passport) has improved markedly and emerged as one of the best floor generals on the continent. In winning last year’s Israel Premier League MVP award, the 6’3 Mekel recorded per game averages of 13.3 points and 5.4 assists (good for second in the league), including a 21 point 7 assist 3 steal outing in the deciding championship game
Mekel is a pure point guard, a pass-first guy who is a classic floor general. He’s had a few NBA teams interested the last year (Timberwolves, Bucks, Pacers, Hawks, Grizzlies) but Dallas got the deal done.
Mekel’s deal is for the minimum, which will not mess with Dallas’ Dwight Howard cap space.
But Mekel is a backup in the NBA, at least to start, so the Mavericks reached out to a couple potential starters, reports ESPNDallas.com.
It’s no surprise then that the Mavs are among several teams to express interest in point guards Jose Calderon and Mo Williams, according to a league source. The Mavs have long been intrigued by Calderon, who they discussed trading for last season. Calderon is also drawing interest from Detroit, Houston, Atlanta and New York among other teams.
Calderon would be a great fit and the better of the two as a pure point, but the Mavericks need to look at a few options.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 0
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7