Jul 1, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
Because what the Knicks really need is another volume shooter. What they lack is a guy who needs the ball in his hands and shoots a low percentage on the shots he creates, and then is disinterested on defense.
A union of Ellis and the Knicks is viewed as a long shot, as the Knicks have only the $3.2 million taxpayer mid-level exception available. Ellis just opted out of a deal that would have paid him $11 million next season in Milwaukee.
But Ellis, 27, and his Washington, D.C.-based agent, Jeff Fried, are known to be willing to compromise in order to sign with a contending team. And the Knicks, who face the free-agent loss of sixth man of the year J.R. Smith, would provide ample opportunity for Ellis to showcase his scoring prowess deep into the playoffs.
Ellis averaged 19.2 points a game last season but on 41.6 percent shooting in Milwaukee. Paired with Brandon Jennings, then later in the season J.J. Redick, the Bucks backcourt was… interesting. Among the teams reportedly interested are Dallas and Atlanta (the Hawks seem an odd fit with their front office and coach, but it’s out there).
Ellis is a free agent likely in for a rude awakening about what the market will offer him. He reportedly turned down a two year, $24 million extension to get out of Milwaukee and he is not going to get anything like that on the open market. Teams are looking for efficient scorers and that is not Ellis.
Even so, the Knicks $3.2 million is low (and the reportedly want to spend part of that on Pablo Prigioni if he decides to return, although the Knicks want him to return for his qualifying offer of just under $1 million). This is a deal that just will not work out, which is good for the Knicks because Ellis is a bad fit.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 0
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10