Jul 1, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
Because what the Knicks really need is another volume shooter. What they lack is a guy who needs the ball in his hands and shoots a low percentage on the shots he creates, and then is disinterested on defense.
A union of Ellis and the Knicks is viewed as a long shot, as the Knicks have only the $3.2 million taxpayer mid-level exception available. Ellis just opted out of a deal that would have paid him $11 million next season in Milwaukee.
But Ellis, 27, and his Washington, D.C.-based agent, Jeff Fried, are known to be willing to compromise in order to sign with a contending team. And the Knicks, who face the free-agent loss of sixth man of the year J.R. Smith, would provide ample opportunity for Ellis to showcase his scoring prowess deep into the playoffs.
Ellis averaged 19.2 points a game last season but on 41.6 percent shooting in Milwaukee. Paired with Brandon Jennings, then later in the season J.J. Redick, the Bucks backcourt was… interesting. Among the teams reportedly interested are Dallas and Atlanta (the Hawks seem an odd fit with their front office and coach, but it’s out there).
Ellis is a free agent likely in for a rude awakening about what the market will offer him. He reportedly turned down a two year, $24 million extension to get out of Milwaukee and he is not going to get anything like that on the open market. Teams are looking for efficient scorers and that is not Ellis.
Even so, the Knicks $3.2 million is low (and the reportedly want to spend part of that on Pablo Prigioni if he decides to return, although the Knicks want him to return for his qualifying offer of just under $1 million). This is a deal that just will not work out, which is good for the Knicks because Ellis is a bad fit.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14