Report: Greg Oden draws interest from Heat, Spurs, Cavaliers, Celtics, Mavericks, Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies
Jul 1, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
When are teams interested in signing someone who hasn’t played in four years?
When it’s Greg Oden, who posted 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes when he last played in 2009. Even though it’s such an extreme long shot he even approaches that level of production agagin, Oden, the former No. 1 pick, remains a tantalizing player.
Oden, 25,has received interest from the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Memphis Grizzlies, league sources said.
Any team looking to contend must have a big man who can match up with Roy Hibbert and Dwight Howard. The Heat nearly learned that the hard way, as Hibbert’s Pacers pushed Miami to Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Oden, with his injury risk, can’t reliably fill that role.
But for a team not ready to contend or one that already has a dependable big man, Oden might be able to help in that area – plus he comes with incredible upside.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 4
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10