Report: Greg Oden draws interest from Heat, Spurs, Cavaliers, Celtics, Mavericks, Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies
Jul 1, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
When are teams interested in signing someone who hasn’t played in four years?
When it’s Greg Oden, who posted 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes when he last played in 2009. Even though it’s such an extreme long shot he even approaches that level of production agagin, Oden, the former No. 1 pick, remains a tantalizing player.
Oden, 25,has received interest from the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Memphis Grizzlies, league sources said.
Any team looking to contend must have a big man who can match up with Roy Hibbert and Dwight Howard. The Heat nearly learned that the hard way, as Hibbert’s Pacers pushed Miami to Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Oden, with his injury risk, can’t reliably fill that role.
But for a team not ready to contend or one that already has a dependable big man, Oden might be able to help in that area – plus he comes with incredible upside.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20