Report: Greg Oden draws interest from Heat, Spurs, Cavaliers, Celtics, Mavericks, Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies
Jul 1, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
When are teams interested in signing someone who hasn’t played in four years?
When it’s Greg Oden, who posted 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes when he last played in 2009. Even though it’s such an extreme long shot he even approaches that level of production agagin, Oden, the former No. 1 pick, remains a tantalizing player.
Oden, 25,has received interest from the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Memphis Grizzlies, league sources said.
Any team looking to contend must have a big man who can match up with Roy Hibbert and Dwight Howard. The Heat nearly learned that the hard way, as Hibbert’s Pacers pushed Miami to Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Oden, with his injury risk, can’t reliably fill that role.
But for a team not ready to contend or one that already has a dependable big man, Oden might be able to help in that area – plus he comes with incredible upside.
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)