Report: Greg Oden draws interest from Heat, Spurs, Cavaliers, Celtics, Mavericks, Kings, Pacers and Grizzlies
Jul 1, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
When are teams interested in signing someone who hasn’t played in four years?
When it’s Greg Oden, who posted 16.7 points, 12.8 rebounds and 3.4 blocks per 36 minutes when he last played in 2009. Even though it’s such an extreme long shot he even approaches that level of production agagin, Oden, the former No. 1 pick, remains a tantalizing player.
Oden, 25,has received interest from the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers and Memphis Grizzlies, league sources said.
Any team looking to contend must have a big man who can match up with Roy Hibbert and Dwight Howard. The Heat nearly learned that the hard way, as Hibbert’s Pacers pushed Miami to Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Oden, with his injury risk, can’t reliably fill that role.
But for a team not ready to contend or one that already has a dependable big man, Oden might be able to help in that area – plus he comes with incredible upside.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29