Jul 1, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Washington Wizards are hoping he can have similar success in a similar situation with them.
The Wizards and Maynor have agreed to a multi-year deal where he will back up John Wall, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. The terms of the deal are not yet known.
Maynor played his college ball at Virginia Commonwealth University, just down the I-95 a stretch from the Wizards’ home.
If healthy, the Wall/Maynor combo could be one of the better point guard combos in the league. Both are quick and play smart, both can score and set up teammates.
Healthy is the key. Wall has a stress injury to his kneecap that caused him to miss time but near the end of the season started to look like what people expected of the former No. 1 overall pick. Maynor had an ACL tear that caused him to miss parts of a couple seasons. Last season Maynor played in just 27 games in Portland but looked pretty good by the end of the season.
This is a good get for the Wizards, who were stuck last season when Wall missed time.
Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld and forward Martell Webster “are talking” as of Monday afternoon, the opening of free agency, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN Washington.
Another person told CSN that the Wizards likely will work out a deal to retain another free agent, Garrett Temple, as early as this week.
Washington looks more and more like a playoff team in the East next season. At least on paper and if healthy.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13