Jul 1, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Washington Wizards are hoping he can have similar success in a similar situation with them.
The Wizards and Maynor have agreed to a multi-year deal where he will back up John Wall, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. The terms of the deal are not yet known.
Maynor played his college ball at Virginia Commonwealth University, just down the I-95 a stretch from the Wizards’ home.
If healthy, the Wall/Maynor combo could be one of the better point guard combos in the league. Both are quick and play smart, both can score and set up teammates.
Healthy is the key. Wall has a stress injury to his kneecap that caused him to miss time but near the end of the season started to look like what people expected of the former No. 1 overall pick. Maynor had an ACL tear that caused him to miss parts of a couple seasons. Last season Maynor played in just 27 games in Portland but looked pretty good by the end of the season.
This is a good get for the Wizards, who were stuck last season when Wall missed time.
Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld and forward Martell Webster “are talking” as of Monday afternoon, the opening of free agency, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN Washington.
Another person told CSN that the Wizards likely will work out a deal to retain another free agent, Garrett Temple, as early as this week.
Washington looks more and more like a playoff team in the East next season. At least on paper and if healthy.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12