Jul 1, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Washington Wizards are hoping he can have similar success in a similar situation with them.
The Wizards and Maynor have agreed to a multi-year deal where he will back up John Wall, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. The terms of the deal are not yet known.
Maynor played his college ball at Virginia Commonwealth University, just down the I-95 a stretch from the Wizards’ home.
If healthy, the Wall/Maynor combo could be one of the better point guard combos in the league. Both are quick and play smart, both can score and set up teammates.
Healthy is the key. Wall has a stress injury to his kneecap that caused him to miss time but near the end of the season started to look like what people expected of the former No. 1 overall pick. Maynor had an ACL tear that caused him to miss parts of a couple seasons. Last season Maynor played in just 27 games in Portland but looked pretty good by the end of the season.
This is a good get for the Wizards, who were stuck last season when Wall missed time.
Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld and forward Martell Webster “are talking” as of Monday afternoon, the opening of free agency, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN Washington.
Another person told CSN that the Wizards likely will work out a deal to retain another free agent, Garrett Temple, as early as this week.
Washington looks more and more like a playoff team in the East next season. At least on paper and if healthy.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61