Jul 1, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
So what did Howard ask them? How they could add another max guy. That according to the Houston Chronicle.
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey discussed not only the plans going forward, but was also asked about how the Rockets were built to position themselves to be able to offer a second max contract.
James Harden already has a max contract, so apparently Howard wants a Miami-like three max player system.
Here’s the problem with that — it worked in Miami because of LeBron James. Neither Howard nor Harden are LeBron James. Also, what we are seeing in Miami is showing cracks and because of the three max deals it will be hard for the Heat to fix them.
Harden, Howard and a host of quality role players around them — Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin and others — may be a more likely contender than another three-headed beast surrounded by minimum guys. To clear room for another max you’d have to almost give away Lin and Asik at least.
The good news for the Rockets out of that is Howard seems to be thinking about winning, and if his decision is about the rings the Rockets are in a strong position.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29