Jul 1, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
There isn’t a lot of negotiating to do here: Chris Paul is a clear max contract player, the Clippers wanted to keep him and he wanted to stay with the Clippers.
So while nothing is formal an official yet, we have confirmation of what we already knew — Chris Paul and the Clippers will aggree to a five-year, $107 million deal, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Paul’s decision to stay with the Clippers is hardly a surprise. The only suspense remaining is when and how he will officially accept. Paul cannot sign his new contract until July 10th but he can agree to terms before then….
ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard reported Saturday that Paul’s representatives have told teams to not even bother pursuing the point guard when free agency begins because he planned to re-sign with the Clippers.
Paul is the best point guard in the game — it’s not just the 18.3 points, 10.7 assists or PER of 26.4 from last season, it’s him as a floor general. He orchestrates and controls the game from the point better than anyone in the game right now.
The Clippers think with him and Blake Griffin they have a shot at a title. They have paid Doc Rivers to come in as coach and you can expect a few other roster moves to make the Clippers contenders coming. They are not far away, they won 56 games last season, but there are holes in their roster that need to be fixed. And DeAndre Jordan needs to play better.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 15
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 16
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46