Jul 1, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Update: Marc Stein of ESPN:
Mike Dunleavy has never finished a season with a winning team.
He began 2006-07 with the Warriors, who finished 42-40, but he was traded mid-year to the 35-47 Pacers. Otherwise, he’s spent every season of his career entirely with a loser.
That could change soon.
The Bulls went 45-37 last season, and that was without Derrick Rose. They’re likely to be even better once Rose returns, and despite his poor past team record, Dunleavy would help, too.
Obviously, Dunleavy isn’t the caliber of player who can singlehandedly turn a team into a winner, but I don’t think it’s complete coincidence he’s always played with losing teams. Dunleavy has sometimes been picked on defensively, and some rudimentary defensive metrics assign blame equally for all players on the court, which allows Dunleavy to hide his deficiency. He’s not the type of two-way player who winning teams typically give big minutes.
But Dunleavy is a skilled shooter, making a career-best 43 percent of his 3-pointers last season, and Chicago is clearly valuing shooting this offseason. After a year in which their offense stagnated at time, the Bulls drafted a pair of good shooters, New Mexico’s Tony Snell and Florida’s Erik Murphy, and Dunleavy would provide even more help.
As long as the Bulls plan to use him in a limited role – which I bet they do – this is really good value for them. And Dunleavy would appreciate finally playing for a winner, too.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31