Jul 1, 2013, 1:14 AM EDT
The Bobcats have have a lot of cap space and are looking to spend it on an impact player to help bolster their offensively challenged front court.
Jefferson averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds a game last season for the Jazz and would instantly become the Bobcats’ go to scorer and best player. Known for his savvy scoring on the low block and solid decision making when working out of the post, Jefferson would be a nice add to an offense who ranked 28th in points per possession last season.
Where Jefferson isn’t as useful is on the defensive end, but a pairing with 2011 lottery pick Bismack Biyombo — who’s an up and coming rim protector — could mitigate some of Jefferson’s woes on that end of the floor.
Jefferson isn’t the splashiest of names on the market and that likely plays into the Bobcats thinking as they’re not exactly a magnet for the top free agents available. The fact that Jefferson is coming off a stint with the small-market Jazz likely also plays a part in Charlotte’s pursuit.
The notoriously tight-lipped Jazz haven’t given many hints about what their plans are with Jefferson (nor their other key free agent Paul Milsap), but with former lottery picks Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter already on the roster, the thinking is that Jefferson will likely be playing on another team next season.
The Bobcats hope it’s theirs.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50