Jul 1, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
The recruitment of Dwight Howard is not just about money, everyone is offering the max. It’s not just about basketball and the chance to win.
It’s about a million other things — Howard’s comfort level with teammates, the organization and the city, his ability to grow his brand nationally and internationally, weather, and a million other little things.
With all those other things a lot of other people are trying to get in on recruiting of Howard, directly or indirectly.
From the indirect side we bring you this little note from our friend Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles:
The Lakers local television network Time Warner Cable SportsNet is in need of more programing to fill its seeming 24-hour-a-day Lakers coverage (with a little Galaxy sprinkled in) and to that end have had preliminary talks with Howard about having his own show if he returns to the Lakers. This likely would be a “behind the scenes” show that follows Howard as he is a goofball and plays some basketball.
That is playing to his ego. You can be sure the Lakers in no way told TWC to do this or tampered in any way. Not that stopped the talks either.
Out in Texas Houston rapper Slim Thug wanted to help out the Rockets’ cause so he took to twitter to help. He extolled some of the more interesting advantages of life in Houston. And based on what he suggests and the language, you can bet the Rockets didn’t sign off on this recruiting effort.
Here are a handful of the tweets Slim Thug sent out, check his timeline for the ones I can’t run if you so wish.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8