Jul 1, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
The recruitment of Dwight Howard is not just about money, everyone is offering the max. It’s not just about basketball and the chance to win.
It’s about a million other things — Howard’s comfort level with teammates, the organization and the city, his ability to grow his brand nationally and internationally, weather, and a million other little things.
With all those other things a lot of other people are trying to get in on recruiting of Howard, directly or indirectly.
From the indirect side we bring you this little note from our friend Arash Markazi of ESPNLosAngeles:
The Lakers local television network Time Warner Cable SportsNet is in need of more programing to fill its seeming 24-hour-a-day Lakers coverage (with a little Galaxy sprinkled in) and to that end have had preliminary talks with Howard about having his own show if he returns to the Lakers. This likely would be a “behind the scenes” show that follows Howard as he is a goofball and plays some basketball.
That is playing to his ego. You can be sure the Lakers in no way told TWC to do this or tampered in any way. Not that stopped the talks either.
Out in Texas Houston rapper Slim Thug wanted to help out the Rockets’ cause so he took to twitter to help. He extolled some of the more interesting advantages of life in Houston. And based on what he suggests and the language, you can bet the Rockets didn’t sign off on this recruiting effort.
Here are a handful of the tweets Slim Thug sent out, check his timeline for the ones I can’t run if you so wish.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 44
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31