Jul 1, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
He’s made it official.
Well, technically Chris Paul can’t put ink to paper until July 10, but we all knew he was going to stay with the Clippers and he tweeted this out Monday morning to confirm it.
This will be a five-year, $107 million deal, the max he could get. Paul has an opt-out option after four seasons.
The Clippers with CP3 running the point and Blake Griffin locked up are on the cusp of title contention — they won 56 games and were the Pacific Division champs last season. This season they add Doc Rivers as coach, which should help give them a better identity on defense and give them better Xs and Os designs late in games. But there are roster issues to deal with, such as the two guard spot in the starting lineup and depth along the front line. Oh, and getting consistency out of DeAndre Jordan would be nice.
But it all starts with Paul, and now they have him locked up.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32