Jul 1, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
He’s made it official.
Well, technically Chris Paul can’t put ink to paper until July 10, but we all knew he was going to stay with the Clippers and he tweeted this out Monday morning to confirm it.
This will be a five-year, $107 million deal, the max he could get. Paul has an opt-out option after four seasons.
The Clippers with CP3 running the point and Blake Griffin locked up are on the cusp of title contention — they won 56 games and were the Pacific Division champs last season. This season they add Doc Rivers as coach, which should help give them a better identity on defense and give them better Xs and Os designs late in games. But there are roster issues to deal with, such as the two guard spot in the starting lineup and depth along the front line. Oh, and getting consistency out of DeAndre Jordan would be nice.
But it all starts with Paul, and now they have him locked up.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 6
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 35
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 13
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14